indy version 9 getting socket error 11004?

Hi.

I am using indy version 9 and have distributed software out to
customers that gets data from a https server,  now on ONE site
they get a socket error 11004 when they try and connect.

I looked at the description and saw this

"the name is valid but there is no ip address associated with the name server"

any ideas to what this is?  They have an internal network, could
it be that this guy doesnt have outside internet access?

what else could it be? Ive exhausted my knowledge on this one...

Cheers

Chris

Re:indy version 9 getting socket error 11004?

[This followup was posted to borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <3e307e5...@newsgroups.borland.com>,
cve...@hortresearch.co.nz says...

> Hi.

> I am using indy version 9 and have distributed software out to
> customers that gets data from a https server,  now on ONE site
> they get a socket error 11004 when they try and connect.

> I looked at the description and saw this

> "the name is valid but there is no ip address associated with the name server"

> any ideas to what this is?

It sounds like a problem converting a hostname into an IP address.
Here's what I found at www.sockets.com:

WSANO_DATA (11004) Valid name, no data record of requested type Berkeley

IP address at the name server. This is not a temporary error. This means
another type of request to the name server will result in an answer.
WinSock description: Same as Berkeley for host resolution. For protocol
and services resolution, the name or number was not found in the
respective database.
User suggestions: see WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND for details.

> They have an internal network, could
> it be that this guy doesnt have outside internet access?

> what else could it be? Ive exhausted my knowledge on this one...

I would suggest treating it similarly to a WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND.  Here's
some information from www.sockets.com about the WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND.

WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND (11001) Host not found
Berkeley description: No such host is known. The name you have used is

not an official hostname or alias. This is not a soft error, another
type of name server request may be successful.
WinSock description: Same as Berkeley. Any of the WinSock name
resolution functions can fail with this error. The WinSock API does not
provide any way to select specific name resolution protocols, server
address, or record type.
TCP/IP scenario: Most WinSock implementations use domain name system

(DNS) protocol for hostname to address resolution, although a few use

Network Information System (NIS). Assuming you have a name server
configured instead of or as well as a host table, a hostname resolution
request causes a WinSock DLL to send a DNS "A" record query (address
query) to the configured DNS query. If you have more than one server
configured, the hostname query fails only after the WinSock DLL has
queried all servers.
User suggestions: Check that you have a name server(s) and/or host table
configured. If you are using a name server(s), check whether the server

host(s) are up (e.g. try to ping the server(s)). You could also try to

resolve another hostname you know should work, to check that the name
resolution server application is running.
If you are using a host table exclusively, you'll need to update it to
add the destination hostname and address.
Developer suggestions: for protocols and services consider using a
hard-coded value for the protocol number or service port number in case
your resolution attempt fails, and you can have your cake and eat it
too.

Considering the above, I wonder is screwed up or configured properly.

--
J. Peter Mugaas - Chairperson, Distribution Team, Indy Pit Crew
Internet Direct (Indy) Website - http://www.nevrona.com/Indy

Re:indy version 9 getting socket error 11004?

All it means is that you didn't pass a null name and it passes the syntax of  Net
name  charactors and format of use
but was not found in the DNS...(domain look up server);..
etc...
 possibly changing the DNS ip could help..
Chris Veale wrote:
> Hi.

> I am using indy version 9 and have distributed software out to
> customers that gets data from a https server,  now on ONE site
> they get a socket error 11004 when they try and connect.

> I looked at the description and saw this

> "the name is valid but there is no ip address associated with the name server"

> any ideas to what this is?  They have an internal network, could
> it be that this guy doesnt have outside internet access?

> what else could it be? Ive exhausted my knowledge on this one...

> Cheers

> Chris

Other Threads