Converting Non-Text File to Text File

I need to convert my Non Text File to a Text File
BEFORE I can upload it and send across the internet.

1. Can it be done?

2. If so where can one obtain the necessary software
or code.

Thanx
Lawrence Breakey
lbrea...@ilink.nis.za
(Cape Town, South Africa)

Re:Converting Non-Text File to Text File

> I need to convert my Non Text File to a Text File
> BEFORE I can upload it and send across the internet.

> 1. Can it be done?

> 2. If so where can one obtain the necessary software
> or code.

   Most likely, it can be done - but at what cost in effort?  You've
stated nothing about the data in the file, nor its structure, so no one
can answer your questions about available utilites and such.  There are
real issues of formats, data types, record structures, etc., and it's
impossible to determine effort (or untimate possibilities) without
knowing a great deal more about this "file".

lawrence noel breakey wrote:

> I need to convert my Non Text File to a Text File
> BEFORE I can upload it and send across the internet.

> 1. Can it be done?

> 2. If so where can one obtain the necessary software
> or code.

I don't understand  your question.
Is your Non Text File in binary format and must be convert to strings?

eg

34h 12h - '1234h'

Is there any specified field or something?

The only way I can think of is the ZIP is an send it across Internet ;)

On 17 Dec 1996 19:41:56 GMT,  lbrea...@ilink.nis.za (lawrence

noel breakey) wrote:
>I need to convert my Non Text File to a Text File
>BEFORE I can upload it and send across the internet.

>1. Can it be done?

>2. If so where can one obtain the necessary software
>or code.

If you are talking about converting it to text only for
transmission and then plan to convert it back to its binary form
then you only need to send it as a uuencoded or Base64
attachment.  I'm not certain how your mail/news reader handles
that.  Your mail/news reader must have some type of online help,
manual, and/or FAQ.

    ...red

--
I have moved:
email: rdon...@southeast.net

Re:Converting Non-Text File to Text File

lawrence noel breakey wrote:

> I need to convert my Non Text File to a Text File
> BEFORE I can upload it and send across the internet.

> 1. Can it be done?

> 2. If so where can one obtain the necessary software
> or code.

> Thanx
> Lawrence Breakey
> lbrea...@ilink.nis.za
> (Cape Town, South Africa)

Look for uuencode and uudecode or for a full application
like Xferpro, UUDeview etc.
Try www.shareware.com and search for uuencode and for base64.

Shai.

Other Threads