TTable.CreateTable - can't open created dbase4 table

I've used CreateTable many times with D1 without any trouble. Now that
I've switched to D4 I am having problems. Neither Database Desktop nor
dbase IV for Dos can open dbase tables created using D4. Invariably Desk
Top reports "unable to open table" "invalid parameter". dBase IV reports
that it is "not a dbase table". I've tried every reasonable setting in
the BDE, including all dBase levels.
Can anybody tell me what's happening here? A quick response to this
message could be a life saver. Or at least save me buying a rope.
TIA
DAVE.

Re:TTable.CreateTable - can't open created dbase4 table

On Thu, 13 May 1999 20:59:06 -0600, dwneuf...@home.com wrote:
>I've used CreateTable many times with D1 without any trouble. Now that
>I've switched to D4 I am having problems. Neither Database Desktop nor
>dbase IV for Dos can open dbase tables created using D4. Invariably Desk
>Top reports "unable to open table" "invalid parameter". dBase IV reports
>that it is "not a dbase table". I've tried every reasonable setting in
>the BDE, including all dBase levels.

Dave,

My assumption is that your file is *not* a dBase IV file.  The BDE
will silently create a higher level file when you're requesting
features that are not present in the file format you request.  D1 uses
a lower version of the BDE that did not know about the more recent
file types.

Can you show us the code you use to create the file?  Issues are
creating fields using ftFloat or ftInteger instead of using ftBCD or
requesting required fields.

Jan

Re:TTable.CreateTable - can't open created dbase4 table

This is because Inprise are using different Langdrivers between D1 and D3,D4
And if you use in D1 Langdriver that is not present in D4 - this is the
error.
Try to open this tables with older Data base desktop (this version from
Delphi 1 kit) and change the Langdriver with 'ascii' ANSI.

Other Threads