Delphi help! - Problems using brush styles

Hello,

     I've just recently acquired Delphi 1.0 and am familiarizing myself
with the language.  I have encountered the following problem:  When
trying to draw a rectangle with a fill pattern onto a form, I keep
getting a solid fill even when setting the canvas.brush.style
property to bsHorizontal.  See the following code example:

  procedure TForm1.BitBtn1Click(Sender: TObject);
    begin

      form1.canvas.Brush.Style := bsHorizontal;
      form1.canvas.Brush.Color := clRed;
      form1.canvas.Rectangle(12, 50, 100, 200);

    end;

  end.

The application is simple, a button on form1 is pressed and draws a
rectangle.  But I want a rectange that is filled with horizontal bars,
NOT a solid fill.  Yet, even though the brush.style property is
bsHorizontal, I STILL GET A SOLID FILL.  Can anyone tell me what I
am doing wrong???

Thanks in advance,
xerxees