Delphi, TCP/IP, Oracle7

I am using Delphi 2.0 on Windows 3.1 and am trying to
connect to a Oracle 7 database (residing on a Unix server)
through a TCP/IP network.

Problem is everytime I execute my program, Delphi responds
with a message that Windows is low on memory resources. I
have reduced the number of open applications and TSRs to the
bare minimum and have about 422K of conventional memory left
at DOS level.  My PC configuration is running on 16Mb RAM
and my windows virtual memory is set at about 15000Kb.

Does anyone know how much memory does the Oracle 7 ODBC drivers
need and is there a way to solve the problem ?

Re:Delphi, TCP/IP, Oracle7

In article <31672A29.5...@singnet.com.sg>, tanda...@singnet.com.sg
writes

>I am using Delphi 2.0 on Windows 3.1 and am trying to
>connect to a Oracle 7 database (residing on a Unix server)
>through a TCP/IP network.

I didn't know Delphi 2 would work on Win 3.1, even with Win32s.

I also thought Delphi 2 needs 32-bit ODBC drivers. Oracle told me
their's isn't available yet. How did you get this far ?!

Regards,

Mike Wilson                                         Plexus Systems Ltd
m...@plexus.demon.co.uk                          Reading, Berkshire, UK

Re:Delphi, TCP/IP, Oracle7

David,

tanda...@singnet.com.sg wrote:

> I am using Delphi 2.0 on Windows 3.1 and am trying to
> connect to a Oracle 7 database (residing on a Unix server)
> through a TCP/IP network.

> Problem is everytime I execute my program, Delphi responds
> with a message that Windows is low on memory resources. I
> have reduced the number of open applications and TSRs to the
> bare minimum and have about 422K of conventional memory left
> at DOS level.  My PC configuration is running on 16Mb RAM
> and my windows virtual memory is set at about 15000Kb.

> Does anyone know how much memory does the Oracle 7 ODBC drivers
> need and is there a way to solve the problem ?

Sounds like your memory is too low. Time to run memmaker or get QEMM or
386MAX. You should be able to get about 530K - 560K free with NOvell
TCP/IP drivers.

You could try the Win32S library and Microsoft TCP/IP - we have used it
successfully to connect to Interbase and Progress.

Regards
Dave Robinson
Amber Computer Systems Inc.
Surrey, BC Canada

Re:Delphi, TCP/IP, Oracle7

Re: Delphi, TCP/IP, Oracle7

We can use full 16-bit in Delphi 2.0.  (We can generate
apllications run in 16-bit environment).

For access to oracle7, you can use SQL Link 32-bit is included
with Delphi 2.0 Client-Server.

Re:Delphi, TCP/IP, Oracle7

tanda...@singnet.com.sg wrote:
>I am using Delphi 2.0 on Windows 3.1 and am trying to
>connect to a Oracle 7 database (residing on a Unix server)
>through a TCP/IP network.
>Problem is everytime I execute my program, Delphi responds
>with a message that Windows is low on memory resources. I
>have reduced the number of open applications and TSRs to the
>bare minimum and have about 422K of conventional memory left
>at DOS level.  My PC configuration is running on 16Mb RAM
>and my windows virtual memory is set at about 15000Kb.
>Does anyone know how much memory does the Oracle 7 ODBC drivers
>need and is there a way to solve the problem ?

Under Windows 3.1 the problem may be with the amount of free
conventional memory. Even though you have plenty of free extended
memory, any process that starts needs 512 bytes of conventional memory
for a PSP (program segment prefix) allocated for it - or Windows will
give an out of memory error trying to start another process. The
problem comes in with drivers etc that want to allocate FIXED memory
for themselves. Windows allocates fixed memory starting a the lowest
address available, which starts in conventional memory. The one time
this was a problem for me I was able to call the Windows API call
GlobalDosAlloc(size) at the begining of my program before I loaded the
Oracle drivers ( this was Oracle via Q+E Database library and I was
using  LoadLibrary and FreeLibrary to explicitly control when this
happened ). I allocated several small chunks (4k - 8k) keeping track
of whether the call was successful then calling GlobalDosFree on the
ones that were successful after the other libraries were loaded.

In case you're wondering this wasn't a Delphi app., but I hope  the
info. will help. I spotted this FIXED memory thing using heapwalk.exe.

Re:Delphi, TCP/IP, Oracle7

Soufiane Bouanane <B.Soufi...@sympatico.ca> writes:
> Re: Delphi, TCP/IP, Oracle7

> We can use full 16-bit in Delphi 2.0.  (We can generate
> apllications run in 16-bit environment).

> For access to oracle7, you can use SQL Link 32-bit is included
> with Delphi 2.0 Client-Server.

However, you still need to get drivers from Oracle.
SQL Links 32 Oracle drivers are just an interface to
the Oracle Interface drivers.

We are connecting to Oracle 7 on a Windows NT server
via TCP/IP and Delphi 2.0.  Using 32-bit drivers.

Other Threads