Borland Database Engine

Hello!

If I were to write a database application with the intention of passing
it to someone else who does not have Delphi installed in his pc (hence
no BDE), what additional steps do I have to take to ensure that the
application works in his pc?

I tried to pass the application to a friend (w/o delphi), and he got the
following error message: "An error occured while attempting to
initialize the Borland Database Engine (Error $2109)" which I suspect is
due to the point I made above.

How should I get round this problem.

Many Thanks!

Edwin Lee
edwi...@planetmail.com

Re:Borland Database Engine

Hi Edwin

Try to use the installshield setup manager included with delphi.

But there is a problem: The alias which is generated by the setup is
incorrect! (or may....i don't use installshield express/but there was some
problems).

Delete the alias and create it manually on your customer....if this is not a
option for you, buy installshield professional, there is a template for BDE
4.5x and 5 available....We are using this template, it works fine

---
Michael Olschimke
olschi...@gmx.net

JavaDoc for Delphi? For C++? For InstallShield? For any other language?
 --> http://members.easyspace.com/olschimke

Re:Borland Database Engine

> I tried to pass the application to a friend (w/o delphi), and he got the
> following error message: "An error occured while attempting to
> initialize the Borland Database Engine (Error $2109)" which I suspect is
> due to the point I made above.

> How should I get round this problem.

As Michael stated, create an installation with InstallShield.  A quick and
dirty method without InstallShield is to use the Delphi CD and run setup as
if you were going to install Delphi on the target machine, but use "Custom"
and select only the BDE for installation.

--
Randy Blackmond

Re:Borland Database Engine

hi Michael, thanks for the reply!

When u say create the alias manually, do u mean creating it on the fly with the
use of code?

And btw, when we create the alias on the fly, we have to specify the database
path. What if we do not know where the other person is going to install the
program?

Thanks and Best Regards

Edwin

Michael Olschimke wrote:
> Hi Edwin

> Try to use the installshield setup manager included with delphi.

> But there is a problem: The alias which is generated by the setup is
> incorrect! (or may....i don't use installshield express/but there was some
> problems).

> Delete the alias and create it manually on your customer....if this is not a
> option for you, buy installshield professional, there is a template for BDE
> 4.5x and 5 available....We are using this template, it works fine

> ---
> Michael Olschimke
> olschi...@gmx.net

> JavaDoc for Delphi? For C++? For InstallShield? For any other language?
>  --> http://members.easyspace.com/olschimke

Re:Borland Database Engine

Hi Edwin,

the best way to do that, is to buy a copy from installshield pro...

but if you don't want to spend that money (it's not cheap...), you can
create the alias in your application with TSession.AddAlias and
TSession.AddStandardAlias

And because you are do that in your application, you know where your
application is installed:
ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName) + 'MyData_I_dont_know_the_directory';

---
Michael Olschimke
olschi...@gmx.net

JavaDoc for Delphi? For C++? For InstallShield? For any other language?
 --> http://members.easyspace.com/olschimke

Re:Borland Database Engine

Hi! Thanks for the help! Know how to get round the problem now!

Best Regards

Edwin

Michael Olschimke wrote:
> Hi Edwin,

> the best way to do that, is to buy a copy from installshield pro...

> but if you don't want to spend that money (it's not cheap...), you can
> create the alias in your application with TSession.AddAlias and
> TSession.AddStandardAlias

> And because you are do that in your application, you know where your
> application is installed:
> ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName) + 'MyData_I_dont_know_the_directory';

> ---
> Michael Olschimke
> olschi...@gmx.net

> JavaDoc for Delphi? For C++? For InstallShield? For any other language?
>  --> http://members.easyspace.com/olschimke

--
Edwin Lee
edwi...@planetmail.com