IB Port Selection Feature

I am not sure whether IB is currently supporting this feature, but if
it isn't, it might be taken as a request.

In the latest FB release, the client can specify the port number in
the connection string, using the following syntax.

host_name/port_name:db_name

Now I face the following problem which I have managed to solve using
this feature.

I am writing an article on how to use OpenSSH to encrypt and
optionally compress the network messages by using port forwarding.
This makes the use of OpenSSH fairly transparent (although using
multiple servers becomes a tad less intuitive).

The only requirement is to redirect the connection to a local port -
the ssh package then takes care of encrypting it and sending it to a
remote port. However, I cannot simply change the gds_db port number,
because then the client would also pick up the new gds_db port, and
either ssh or the server engine can have that port open; I cannot test
everything (client&server) on one computer.

Using FB, I solved this by leaving gds_db unmodified, and running ssh
on another local port (6050), then using the following connection string.

localhost/6050:C:\Program Files\Firebird\examples\employee.gdb

All this is a *really* roundabout way of asking whether IB supports
this feature (AFAIK, it doesn't), and to ask that please, should it
every be implemented (and there is at least one good reason to do so),
that it use the same syntax.

Regards,

Marcelo Lopez Ruiz

P.S.: WRT how to connect to multiple hosts, if all connections have to
go thru the local host: you can create many local ports, connecting
each to a different host - what you lose, however, is the ability to
specify the host simply from the connection string

Re:IB Port Selection Feature

In article <3C923C4A.5010...@xlnet.com.ar>,
remove_this_marcelo.lopezr...@xlnet.com.ar says...

> I am not sure whether IB is currently supporting this feature, but if
> it isn't, it might be taken as a request.

        Nope; using the services file is the only way I know of.

> All this is a *really* roundabout way of asking whether IB supports
> this feature (AFAIK, it doesn't), and to ask that please, should it
> every be implemented (and there is at least one good reason to do so),
> that it use the same syntax.

        When Borland's QualityCentral (or whatever it will finally be
called) comes online to the public (RSN) you should post it there, as it
will probably be the best way to get feature suggestions to the IB team
(and to get feedback and support from other users).

        Thanks,

        -Craig

     InterBase PLANalyzer (Free IB optimization tool):
          http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Other Threads