Access/Paradox & Crosstab Queries

Hi,

I can use TStoredProc to open a parameterized crosstab query, so long a the
parameters are not dates.  Is this know a problem?  Anything I can do about
it?

Is there any way to preform a crosstab query against Paradox tables.

Re:Access/Paradox & Crosstab Queries

>Is there any way to preform a crosstab query against Paradox tables.

No.  Crosstab tables are not supported in LocalSQL

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:Access/Paradox & Crosstab Queries

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:40:33 GMT, BBus...@DataGuidance.com (Brian Bushay

TeamB) wrote:
>>Is there any way to preform a crosstab query against Paradox tables.
>No.  Crosstab tables are not supported in LocalSQL

Actually, to expand on that a bit...

The SQL-92 specification (of which local SQL is a subset) does not provide
any means by which to construct a cross-tab result set using solely SQL.

You could do this programmatically, though, using both SQL and Delphi code.
An initial SQL result set would massage the data and summarizing as
necessary and be saved to a file. Delphi code could then be used to parse
this initial result set, summarizing or altering the row/column
orientation, and feeding the results to either another table or to a visual
control.

There are such components built into Delphi: the decision support
components (TDecisionQuery, TDecisionGrid, TDecisionGraph, etc.). But these
components only come with the Client/Server edition of Delphi. There may be
third-party equivalents, though.

Some database systems offer nonstandard SQL that does some amount of
cross-tab data retrieval. Such implementation-specific statements as PIVOT
are examples. These are nonstandard statements available only in specific
database systems, and not supported by SQL-92 or local SQL.

Steve Koterski                      "The knowledge of the world is only to
Technical Publications              be acquired in the world, and not in a
INPRISE Corporation                 closet."
http://www.inprise.com/delphi          -- Earl of Chesterfield (1694-1773)

Other Threads