Board index » delphi » Wanted: Shortest Path Source Code

Wanted: Shortest Path Source Code

I am after any Pascal source code for the Shortest Path Problem. Any
implementation you have.
Many Thanks
Nik Tryggvason
 

Re:Wanted: Shortest Path Source Code


In a previous article, Nik Tryggvason <NikTr...@msn.com> wrote:

Quote
>I am after any Pascal source code for the Shortest Path Problem. Any
>implementation you have.
>Many Thanks
>Nik Tryggvason

AHA!  The second year computer science courses at the University of
SomewhereElse are starting to give out the kind of assignment problems
that separate the wheat from the chaff.  The "wheat" do their problems
on their own, the "chaff" ask for someone on comp.lang.pascal.* to do
it for them.

I don't mind helping someone figure out what's wrong with their OWN solutions
to their programming assignments, but I - and many others - have nothing
but scorn for those who just want the answer served to them on a platter.

Re:Wanted: Shortest Path Source Code


Quote
In article <17FEB96.20323...@skyfox.usask.ca> s...@skyfox.usask.ca  writes:
> In a previous article, Nik Tryggvason <NikTr...@msn.com> wrote:
> >I am after any Pascal source code for the Shortest Path Problem. Any
> >implementation you have.
> >Many Thanks
> >Nik Tryggvason

> AHA!  The second year computer science courses at the University of
> SomewhereElse are starting to give out the kind of assignment problems
> that separate the wheat from the chaff.  The "wheat" do their problems
> on their own, the "chaff" ask for someone on comp.lang.pascal.* to do
> it for them.

> I don't mind helping someone figure out what's wrong with their OWN solutions
> to their programming assignments, but I - and many others - have nothing
> but scorn for those who just want the answer served to them on a platter.

Yes, he's from mcc.ac.uk it appears, but I've no idea which uni 'mcc' is,
prolly an ex-poly.

What I found amusing[*] once that someone here said they could give an ftp
site and filename for some assignments that were handed in to him. (!)

[*]Although its really not funny.
--
* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        -- Philip K.{*word*106}

Re:Wanted: Shortest Path Source Code


(a) I've always thought it was good programming practice to reuse
code rather than continually reinventing the wheel.  Why is it
"chaff" to implement this practice while a student?  

(b) I am a 41 year old economist, long out of graduate school,
who does work on locational issues.  I too would like to know if
anyone has code to share on finding shortest paths.

--Dav Vandenbroucke
david_a._vandenbrou...@hud.gov

Re:Wanted: Shortest Path Source Code


In article <4g85q7$7f...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com>
           102757.3...@CompuServe.COM "Dav Vandenbroucke" writes:

Quote
> (a) I've always thought it was good programming practice to reuse
> code rather than continually reinventing the wheel.  Why is it
> "chaff" to implement this practice while a student?  

Correct, yet it is also good programming practice to know what the piece of
code you are using does, and how it works.  That is what you are doing as a
student -- Coding as a means, not as an end.

In later life you should try to cut as many corners as you can <g>

--
* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was.
        -- Walt West

Re:Wanted: Shortest Path Source Code


In a previous article, Dav Vandenbroucke <102757.3...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

Quote
>(a) I've always thought it was good programming practice to reuse
>code rather than continually reinventing the wheel.  Why is it
>"chaff" to implement this practice while a student?  

a.) Because students are given assignments to do THEMSELVES.  If the
prof wanted the students to find someone to do it for them, I'm
sure he would explicitly tell them so.

b.) Because by re-inventing the wheel you learn skills that will be needed
when you try to come up with something original - which is why I have yet
to hear of a prof handing out a programming assignment that tells students
to copy someone else's work.

Re:Wanted: Shortest Path Source Code


On 18 Feb 1996 21:30:45 GMT, Dav Vandenbroucke

Quote
<102757.3...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>(a) I've always thought it was good programming practice to reuse
>code rather than continually reinventing the wheel.  Why is it
>"chaff" to implement this practice while a student?  

<chuckle> You've got quite a wit there, my friend....

--
Robert B. Clark <rcl...@iquest.net>
"Be wary of strong spirits.  It can make you shoot at tax collectors...
and miss." --RAH

Other Threads