Ports & IB

Which ports are reserved? I know the following:
     http 8080, 80
     ftp 21
    smtp 25
    pop3 110
    news 119
    IB 3050

Are there any other ports that are reserved which should not be used?
Or does it even matter?

--
Will

Re:Ports & IB

It doesn't matter, technically. But, for instance if you use IE or something
to go to www.whatever.com or whatever.com, it automatically uses port 80.
Linux comes with a file called services, which describes (most of) the
ports, and what they're for.

If you'd like to check this file out, I've posted it at
http://users.xpressamerica.net/~esmith/services for ya.

Regards,
Edward T. Smith

Will <dragoon...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3cb4911c_2@dnews...
> Which ports are reserved? I know the following:
>      http 8080, 80
>      ftp 21
>     smtp 25
>     pop3 110
>     news 119
>     IB 3050

> Are there any other ports that are reserved which should not be used?
> Or does it even matter?

> --
> Will

Re:Ports & IB

Thanks, I'll look at it right away.

--
Will

> > Which ports are reserved? I know the following:
> >      http 8080, 80
> >      ftp 21
> >     smtp 25
> >     pop3 110
> >     news 119
> >     IB 3050

> > Are there any other ports that are reserved which should not be
used?
> > Or does it even matter?

> > --
> > Will

Re:Ports & IB

> It doesn't matter, technically. But, for instance if you use IE or something
> to go to www.whatever.com or whatever.com, it automatically uses port 80.
> Linux comes with a file called services, which describes (most of) the
> ports, and what they're for.

On Windows there's also that services-file. Check
\Winnt\system32\drivers\etc (WinNT, Win2000) or \Windows (Win95/98)

Regards
Dirk Mika

Other Threads