BLOBs in dBase files

Hello all,

I'm working with an externally supplied dBase file (version unknown, >
4.0) with binary data in a memo field.

Using Delphi 3, creating explicit fields automatically casts this as a
TMemoField, which seems to prevent me from reading the binary data.

The file was created in Lotus Approach, and the graphic data starts out
with the string 'Approach Picture'.  The TMemoField.BlobSize gives 16,
which happens to be the length of the string.  The string itself ends
with an EOF, which I've tried to erase with no effect.

Anyone know how the BDE determines the BLOB size and if any adjustments
need to be made to a dBase table to get it reading BLOBs accurately?

Thanks in advance

Jim Stanley
Jacobs Engineering

Re:BLOBs in dBase files

Maybe you can sneak past this by creating an explicit field using 'new
field' instead of 'add field'. That way you can manually select blob instead
of memo.
--
Tim Borman
tbor...@nospam.prophase.com

Jim Stanley wrote in message <353E871A.3...@jacobs.com>...
>Hello all,

>I'm working with an externally supplied dBase file (version unknown, >
>4.0) with binary data in a memo field.

>Using Delphi 3, creating explicit fields automatically casts this as a
>TMemoField, which seems to prevent me from reading the binary data.

>The file was created in Lotus Approach, and the graphic data starts out
>with the string 'Approach Picture'.  The TMemoField.BlobSize gives 16,
>which happens to be the length of the string.  The string itself ends
>with an EOF, which I've tried to erase with no effect.

>Anyone know how the BDE determines the BLOB size and if any adjustments
>need to be made to a dBase table to get it reading BLOBs accurately?

>Thanks in advance

>Jim Stanley
>Jacobs Engineering

Other Threads