Help setting up MYSQL Server (was Need help choosing database)

Hello!
I'm a newbie in server/client db programs.
I've done something with MS Access DB, and ADO SQL in delphi, for local use,
and now I want to do an APP that share a DB with several client's, and
someone told me that MySQL can do it, and it's free (something I need
too...).
I've never done something like this, can anyone tell me some critical
step's, or setup of this?

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks in advance,

--
     jS

Porto - Portugal

Re:Help setting up MYSQL Server (was Need help choosing database)

> I've never done something like this, can anyone tell me some critical
> step's, or setup of this?

Whenever I am faced with a new database/release/provider I check what
locking is supported. Simply browsing the tabes from 2 machines/connections
and attempting to edit & post the same row twice gives a good indication of
the kind of messages/situations to expect.

Some ADO related features you might want to check:

TAdoConnection.Isolatoin , TAdoconnection.Mode
TRecordset.LockType

You may get different results from MyODBC & MyOLEDB on the same server.

Hope this helps as a quick start...

--
Mike Collier BSc(Hons) Comp Sci
www.adoanywhere.com