How to save TBitmap using TDBImage to the graphic (BLOB) field of a table.

I'm using Delphi 3, and want to be able to store images in a database.
(1) How to I store a TBitmap image to a BLOB field in a table using
TDBImage?
(2) How do I store a TPicture image to a BLOB field in a table using
TDBImage?

I'm getting erratic results. Sometimes my routines work, and
othertimes not!

I put the table in insert mode ... then
copy the image to the DBImage using...

procedure TForm1.CopyButtonClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
DBImage1.Picture.Bitmap.Assign(Bitmap);  {Bitmap ..TBitmap}
{Bitmap.Transparency := true;}
end;

Sometimes this works... and later the table won't display the
data...erratic behaviour.
Delphi 3 Fishfact demo works to add to that table using this above
routine, unfortunately the fishfact example, doesn't show how to get
the image into the table.

Help will be appreciated.
Adrian