Component Managment

I have a set of components that has become "outdated". An application of
mine has been developed and tested with these components so I do not have a
need to upgrade (or a desire to re-test if I upgraded). However a new
different component library from the same manufacturer has come out that I
would like to use for another project. The kicker is that you need to
upgrade the other component set to use it.
Since I do not want to upgrade is there a way I can have dual Delphi 7 IDE's? One
with the original "outdated" component set for maintenance and the other
with a new set? Has anyone done this?
--
SCOTT WOODS

Re:Component Managment

Scott Woods writes:
Since I do not want to upgrade is there a way I can have dual D7
IDE's? One with the original "outdated" component set for
maintenance and the other with a new set? Has anyone done this?
I have a batch file that installs/uninstalls component sets when I
change projects. Not nice, but easy. Components should be able to be
installed 'per project' not globally in the IDE, if there is not a QC
entry about this there should be.
--
Phil

Re:Component Managment

Scott Woods writes:

Since I do not want to upgrade is there a way I can have dual D7
IDE's? One with the original "outdated" component set for
maintenance and the other with a new set? Has anyone done this?
Just an idea, how about updating the registry? So you have three
registry files, one to clear the installed packages, one to install the
maintenance components, and the last to restore the registry with the
new components?

Re:Component Managment

"Scott Woods" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Since I do not want to upgrade is there a way I can have dual Delphi 7 IDE's?
One
with the original "outdated" component set for maintenance and the other
with a new set? Has anyone done this?
I know a tool called Projector that can manage different component sets (and
much more). it is absolutely great, in the beginning maybe a bit difficult to
set up, opensource and good for Delphi 2 until 6 (according to the webpage).
See here:
- www.opus.ch/OpenSource/Projector/Default.htm or
- sourceforge.net/projects/projector
Best regards,
Hans-Peter

Re:Component Managment

"Scott Woods" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I have a set of components that has become "outdated". An application of
mine has been developed and tested with these components so I do not have
need to upgrade (or a desire to re-test if I upgraded). However a new
different component library from the same manufacturer has come out that I
would like to use for another project. The kicker is that you need to
upgrade the other component set to use it.

Since I do not want to upgrade is there a way I can have dual Delphi 7 IDE's?
One
with the original "outdated" component set for maintenance and the other
with a new set? Has anyone done this?
Have a look in the thirdpartytools.general group, there was an announcement
for a product called packagemanager or something like that recently which
makes it easier to manage this sort of thing.
<plug>
You should also consider using an automated build tool such as FinalBuilder,
so that you can build outside of the IDE with library paths that are
independant of what is set in the IDE. This makes it easier to ensure you
always build a particular project with the correct versions of your third
party tools (they don't all need to be installed in the ide to compile).
There are a number of benifits to automated builds, the above is just one
example.
</plug>
--
Regards
Vincent Parrett

Re:Component Managment

Scott Woods writes:
I have a set of components that has become "outdated". An
application of mine has been developed and tested with these
components so I do not have a need to upgrade (or a desire to re-test
if I upgraded). However a new different component library from the
same manufacturer has come out that I'd like to use for another
project. The kicker is that you need to upgrade the other component
set to use it.

Since I do not want to upgrade is there a way I can have dual D7
IDE's? One with the original "outdated" component set for
maintenance and the other with a new set? Has anyone done this?
Have you to keep the older comps in the comp palette?
If not, just deinstall from the paletee and keep them on the HD
somewhere and compile your older app using DCC32.
Now you may install whatever you wish on the palette.
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux (EU)