Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

Bryce K. Nielsen writes:
>Thinking back, I don't recall seeing a single message about huge
>memory use from a user that has less than 1GB RAM. Perhaps it is
>the machines with a great deal of memory that are affected the
>most...

Hrm, now that is an interesting thought. If this memory usage is due
to the garbage collector, I wonder if in larger machines the GC
decides to go for a long time since it is got so much more memory...

-BKN
well, the trial does run OK on my 256mb machine... and I have been
watching the memory usage...
maybe with a tonne of RAM the GC gets bored and falls asleep...

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

Andrew writes:
well, the trial does run OK on my 256mb machine... and I have been
watching the memory usage...
Given I have 1gb and the trial was hogging my PC so bad it couldnt even
play my TV card which can keep going even if the PC crashes.. Id say it
can hog :)

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

C4D - Kim Madsen <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<41d2869e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Im personally not for gc setups... they have their merrits, but unfortunately it also means that it makes some people
think they are expert programmers while they are really not. Java and C# encourages to creation of huge amounts of
objects without the developer giving it any thought, which means that house keeping and ressource management is
completely disregarded by many in GC operated environments.
I am in deep agreement with this statement. But it reminds me of something
someone else wrote about GC, namely that you can write your code to
efficiently manage memory resources even in the GC environment of .Net, you
just have to take the effort to explicitly do it. In other words, though the
masses blunder headlong down the cliff of mindless garbage collection, there
are ways to build a nice parachute and glide safely.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.362

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

Very interesting, thx :)
I also found the IDE much more stable and reporting more
usefull error message after disabling Together.
Could it mean that the Together .Net code has some buffer
overrun issues which result in some memory corruption on
the Win32 side?
Eric

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

Hi!
>I also found the IDE much more stable and reporting more
>usefull error message after disabling Together.

Could it mean that the Together .Net code has some buffer
overrun issues which result in some memory corruption on
the Win32 side?
There are many unreproducable bugs in D2005. I can only
guess, but I think that many come from bugs in
W32/.NET interop, which only show themselves if the
garbage collector executes at a critical moment.
The more often the gargabe collector executes, (because
of bigger memory use), the more bugs you get.
When the memory stays low and consequently
GC collections occur much more rarely, you also
get less bugs <g>
Regards!
Atmapuri
P.S.
Needless to say, those W32 interop bugs can raise
the cost of software development beyond any possible
gain delivered by GC.

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

I think it is the same with F12.
Oh yeah, Error insight slows a lot as well.
(as Danny mentions in the .ide thread.)
best regards
Thomas

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

Nick Hodges [TeamB] schreef:
In actuality, the garbage collector is really the problem, though it
/looks/ like a memory leak.
Er, if the IDE starts throwing endless exceptions and the
current editing work can no longer be saved, such as the
original poster described, then this is a fatal flaw.
If it looks like a crash, tastes like a crash and behaves
like a crash, it is a crash.
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

Nick Hodges [TeamB] schreef:
It's probably both, but
the garbage collector problem is probably the one causing most of the
problems.
Wasn't the whole purpose of a garbage collector to help prevent
that the software developers forget to release memory?
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"
from my e-mail address. Leave the rest of the address intact
including the "antispam" part. I had to take this measure to
counteract unsollicited mail.)

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

David Clegg schreef:
Perhaps that logic was coded by a disgruntled MS developer who's boss
refuses to upgrade the 256Mb RAM in his development machine. :-)
A garbage collector that is garbage would make
an interesting recursion...
--

Arthur Hoornweg writes:
Wasn't the whole purpose of a garbage collector to help prevent
that the software developers forget to release memory?
Well sure. ;-)
(I'm no fan of garbage collectors, and would prefer to do it all
myself, but oh well....)
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

Arthur Hoornweg writes:
Er, if the IDE starts throwing endless exceptions and the
current editing work can no longer be saved, such as the
original poster described, then this is a fatal flaw.
That's true.
If it looks like a crash, tastes like a crash and behaves
like a crash, it is a crash.
That's true, too, though I am not sure what your point is.
--

Arthur Hoornweg writes:
Wasn't the whole purpose of a garbage collector to help prevent
that the software developers forget to release memory?
Perhaps. But more important is that it avoids problems with accessing
memory through stale pointers, i.e. accessing memory that was freed.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"If you give a man a fish, he will eat for today. If you teach him to

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
I'm no fan of garbage collectors, and would prefer to do it all
myself, but oh well....
Me either. But I can imagine a scenario whereby Microsoft, having
suffered the fallout due to buffer overrun errors, decided that
programmers were really to blame and clearly cannot be trusted with
setting up and freeing memory correctly and so devised GC in .NET.
Caution: The above is pure conjecture based on absolutely no facts
whatsoever. it is a cynical whimsy written for fun only :-)
--
Derek Davidson
www.ebsms.com

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

But I can imagine a scenario whereby Microsoft, having
suffered the fallout
well, Fallout was great, and Fallout 2 was even greater, that can not be said about MS.
Actually if MS played Fallout instead releasing another OS version, we all would be much more happy.

Re: Update #1 and memory leaks!

well, Fallout was great, and Fallout 2 was even greater, that can not be
said about MS.
Actually if MS played Fallout instead releasing another OS version, we all
would be much more happy.

Heck, even FalloutTactics was fun, though I do miss the richness of the
Fallout RPGs. I still play them ever now and then, there's so much in those
games. Even if they used the same {*word*76}y engine to make Fallout3 I would buy
it...
-BKN