Re: Mono and Delphi 8 .NET

German Pablo Gentile (MaxKalZone) writes:
Even my ten peoples offcie have a Roadmap... Why Borland can`t have
one?
Mine, too. I hope Borland has one, and I wish they'd publish it.
Borland has historically been very secretive about their plans. Some
of the reasons for this are good -- Borland is competing in the
developer tools arena with Microsoft, who probably has more people
working on their code editor than Borland has working on the entire IDE
-- but I agree it can be very frustrating to Borland users.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re: Mono and Delphi 8 .NET

German Pablo Gentile (MaxKalZone) writes:
>that all Win32 calls must be removed from VCL for .NET in order for
>it to work on Mono, I simply don't think that is correct, as Mono
>itself uses Win32 calls.

That's is wrong IMHO. The don't will use anymore winelib, see 0.29
release notes.
Do you mean this:
www.go-mono.com/archive/mono-0.29.html
...which doesn't mention WineLib, Win32, or GTK at all?
...Or this:
www.go-mono.com/winforms.html
...and this:
www.go-mono.com/faq.html
...which notes that the WineLib version is supported and is the path
of best compatibility?
If Mono is moving away from Win32 they're doing everything possible to
hide their intentions.
People who want to argue this point need to cite sources. Thus far
I'm the only one posting links.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase 7 supports long-running transactions; read more here:
delphi.weblogs.com/stories/storyReader$379

Re: Mono and Delphi 8 .NET

El Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:02:37 -0700, Craig Stuntz [TeamB] escribi?
No, since I don't know what "reingeniery" means. But if you're saying
Ups, I am really sorry by my poor very poor english.
Anyway, you understand that.
that all Win32 calls must be removed from VCL for .NET in order for it
to work on Mono, I simply don't think that is correct, as Mono itself
uses Win32 calls.

That's is wrong IMHO. The don't will use anymore winelib, see 0.29 release
notes.
Best regards.
German.

Re: Mono and Delphi 8 .NET

German Pablo Gentile (MaxKalZone) writes:
What do you think?
I think that use of Win32 has *not* been dropped in this release.
What is intended for the future is not at all clear from that page.
You could port GDI+ with or without Win32. They may have done both.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
Useful articles about InterBase and Delphi development:
delphi.weblogs.com/articles

Re: Mono and Delphi 8 .NET

El Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:46:56 -0700, Craig Stuntz [TeamB] escribi?
German Pablo Gentile (MaxKalZone) writes:

If Mono is moving away from Win32 they're doing everything possible to
hide their intentions.

People who want to argue this point need to cite sources. Thus far
I'm the only one posting links.
Sorry Craig, i mind that, extracted from
www.go-mono.com/archive/mono-0.29.html
"System.Drawing and Windows.Forms
In the last release of Mono we had started an effort to unify the three backends that we had for System.Drawing, since it was becoming hard to maintain.
The new strategy to implement System.Drawing is to use the GDI+ API on Unix and implement the GDI+ C Flat API on top of the cairo library (which is now a dependency).
The good news is that the code is much simpler, our support is more complete, and we can develop this one faster. The bad news is that there are many regressions on this release related to using System.Drawing and Windows.Forms on Unix.
Windows.Forms in this release is broken on Unix, but fairly functional on
Windows. The new rendering engine introduced for System.Drawing broke a
lot of the functionality we had, and we will be working hard to address
those limitations on the next release. "
What do you think?
Best regards.