Debugging D5 under XP

2003-09-03 01:56:47 AM
delphi149
I just upgraded to XP and was trying to debug my Delphi 5 ISAPI app. I can
start/stop the server Ok, but the Delphi wont stop at any breakpoints.
I found a few messages that said that the problem is that the DLL has to be
in the same folder as the project so it can find the symbol table. I
repointed my /scripts directory to my project location and I still have the
same problem.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Is there a fix?
DaveH

Re:Debugging D5 under XP

AFAIK you had to copy the dllhost.exe to the same directory as your ISAPI.
"DaveH" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I just upgraded to XP and was trying to debug my Delphi 5 ISAPI app. I
can
start/stop the server Ok, but the Delphi wont stop at any breakpoints.

I found a few messages that said that the problem is that the DLL has to
be
in the same folder as the project so it can find the symbol table. I
repointed my /scripts directory to my project location and I still have
the
same problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there a fix?

DaveH

Re:Debugging D5 under XP

Well, it took a lot of trial and error but I think I found the simple
solution.
You can compile your ISAPI app and have the DLL placed in the /script folder
just like before. You do not need to copy your project files into the same
location as the DLL or change your /script setting to point to your project
folder and you do not need to turn on Remote Debugging in your Project
Options.
All you need to do is set the "Debug Symbols Search Path" found in
"Tools/De{*word*81} Options/General Tab" to point at your project's folder.
Works for me.
DaveH
"DaveH" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I just upgraded to XP and was trying to debug my Delphi 5 ISAPI app. I
can
start/stop the server Ok, but the Delphi wont stop at any breakpoints.

I found a few messages that said that the problem is that the DLL has to
be
in the same folder as the project so it can find the symbol table. I
repointed my /scripts directory to my project location and I still have
the
same problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there a fix?

DaveH

Re:Debugging D5 under XP

Dave I would be interested in knowing how to debug ISAPI applications under XP.
That is the steps required from start to end in setting up an XP machine
(IIS 6.0) for debugging Delphi ISAPI Applications.
--
Shiv R. Kumar
The Delphi Apostle

Re:Debugging D5 under XP

Shiv,
I've used the method described in www.msdelphi.com (click on web development
link) successfully using D5, D6, Delphi 7 under both Windows 2000 and XP. The
only time I had to modify the approach -- and very slightly at that -- was
when trying to debug D5 under Windows XP. The only change here was that I
had to copy the dllhost.exe to the same folder as my ISAPI.DLL.
"Shiv Kumar" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Dave I would be interested in knowing how to debug ISAPI applications under
XP.
That is the steps required from start to end in setting up an XP machine
(IIS 6.0) for debugging Delphi ISAPI Applications.

--
Shiv R. Kumar
The Delphi Apostle
www.matlus.com

Re:Debugging D5 under XP

One of my problems with the approach described there is that it doesn't not
simulate the target environment close enough. The same goes for WAD.
Primarily, the issues are related to multi-threaded (mostly COM) issues.
--
Shiv R. Kumar
The Delphi Apostle

Re:Debugging D5 under XP

I did finally get IIS working but I will have to try it again and write down
the steps if you still want them. I switched to WebWeaver for development
and only deploy on IIS. I found that WebWeaver starts up much faster. I
was having to wait 15-20 seconds for IIS to start accepting connections
everytime I started debugging.
You can get the free WebWeaver here...
www.brswebweaver.com/
DaveH
"Shiv Kumar" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Dave I would be interested in knowing how to debug ISAPI applications under
XP.
That is the steps required from start to end in setting up an XP machine
(IIS 6.0) for debugging Delphi ISAPI Applications.

--
Shiv R. Kumar
The Delphi Apostle
www.matlus.com

Re:Debugging D5 under XP

Dave,
I'd be interested in knowing the steps involved for setting up IIS for
debugging.
Thanks
--
Shiv R. Kumar
The Delphi Apostle

Re:Debugging D5 under XP

Primarily, the issues are related to multi-threaded (mostly COM) issues.
Please elaborate. I have yet to come across a situation where the code I
debugged via the msdelphi.com approach deviated from the version that was
deployed to production.

Re:Debugging D5 under XP

What can I say?
In a production environment I have had issues that didn't show up (or were not
re-producible) when de-bugging that way, but were re-producible in regular
way.
Please elaborate. I have yet to come across a situation where the code I
Yes, that is possible, but that is not to say you won't get errors in
production. There have been many times I have deployed an app only to find
that some client gets a COM (one of those -234456778 kind of errors) error.
I'm only able to re-produce these errors debugging to regular way.
--
Shiv R. Kumar
The Delphi Apostle