Strange behavior

Hi all
I came across a strange behavior in one application.
The platform is Windows XP Prof and Delphi 6.
The main form has one menu and some buttons.
Somehow, I don't know why, after some processing, the
caption bar and the menu becomes disabled. The buttons don't
look disabled but bahave like they are, because nothing happens
when clicked.They are not frozen because the flat effect (that
raising of the edges) is still working when mouse is over them.
Application has an System Tray icon and a pop-up menu which
works. However , any other window open from the pop-up
menu is frozen.
I suppose this may be something related with some code where
I play with SetForegroundWindow, GetNextWindow and other
stuff like this.
Any ideas?

Re:Strange behavior

jack writes:
Hi all

I came across a strange behavior in one application.
The platform is Windows XP Prof and Delphi 6.
The main form has one menu and some buttons.
Somehow, I don't know why, after some processing, the
caption bar and the menu becomes disabled. The buttons don't
look disabled but bahave like they are, because nothing happens
when clicked.They are not frozen because the flat effect (that
raising of the edges) is still working when mouse is over them.
Application has an System Tray icon and a pop-up menu which
works. However , any other window open from the pop-up
menu is frozen.
I suppose this may be something related with some code where
I play with SetForegroundWindow, GetNextWindow and other
stuff like this.
Any ideas?

Maybe your window is being ghosted? XP may think that your app has
stopped responding.
There was a thread in one of the groups recently about this. Also try
this link: tinyurl.com/2ohsy (refers to
groups.google.com/groups&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=84298b38.0308220846.767e67c%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dhidden%2Bmodal%2Bdialogs%2Bin%2Bwindows%2Bxp%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D84298b38.0308220846.767e67c%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D1)
--
Tom Head
remove the uppercase letters for my correct e-mail

Re:Strange behavior

Thanks Tom,
Actually I managed to find a workaround, but I was curious
about what's happening. It was indeed something related
to changing the z-order of windows and probably related
with that ghosting thing you pointed.
Tom Head <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

Maybe your window is being ghosted? XP may think that your app has
stopped responding.

There was a thread in one of the groups recently about this. Also try
this link: tinyurl.com/2ohsy (refers to
groups.google.com/groups&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=84298b38.0308220846.767e67c%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dhidden%2Bmodal%2Bdialogs%2Bin%2Bwindows%2Bxp%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D84298b38.0308220846.767e67c%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D1)

Re:Strange behavior

Dear All
I have a strange behavior of OnValidate Event of a Field.
I have Delphi 7.0 Ent Edition. I am using Access 2003, as my database.
I'm using ADO connection to the MS Access DB file.
I have a table containing a normal Text field and another numeric
field.
When I write an OnValidate event, the application fires the event at
every character typed. While as I understood from the help files, the
event is fired before the application try to write the new changes of
the field value to the database file.
The funny part, if I have a OnValidate event for the numeric field,
and I am changing the value of the text field, the event of the numeric
is fired.
can anybody tell me why this happening?
Regards

Re:Strange behavior

Hi
I just installed IBExpress 11 for Delphi 6 and i notice the following
strange thing:
When i use a clientdataset/ibdataset combination where the ibdataset has a
param
the second time the ibdataset is openen with a different value of the
param, the values of the old parameter is used.
When i only use the dataset , so not in combination with the clientdataset
is goes well
My example:
IBDataset: select * from table where keyvalue = :keyvalue
IBDataset.ParabyName('Keyvalue').asInteger := 1;
Clientdataset.open : grid showing record of 1
cliendataset1.close;
IBDataset.ParabyName('Keyvalue').asInteger := 2;
Clientdataset.open : grid showing record of 1 instead of 2.
A showmessage of the value after:
IBDataset.ParabyName('Keyvalue').asInteger := 2;
Shows 2
A showmessage of the value in the afterOpen of the IBDataset says 1!!!
What is going on?
Eric

Re:Strange behavior

We are experiencing the following problem with a customer.
1. When they were running our application(Delphi 7) with firebird (1.5.4.x),
the mouse would suddenly go out of control, and the application had to be
closed, by going to the task manager (using the keyboard)
2. We moved them from firebird to sql server 2005, and now they often get
error messages that say they are disconnected from the server, but no
strange mouse movement.
So we thought, they were having some LAN problems, and used wireshark to see
if they were getting any dropped packages. Wireshark showed some lost TCP
packages, but nothing coming from port 3050.
Has anyone seen this happen, what could be the reason for this behavior ?
Regards
Anjita