Re: Porting Delphi to a New PC

2003-08-21 07:32:47 AM
delphi254
On 20 Aug 2003 13:24:38 -0700, "Elliott Shevin"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Can any files be copied from the old installation be copied to
the new machine so these components don't have to be installed
to the palette "by hand?"
Export registry keys under HKCU\SOFTWARE\Borland\Delphi x.0 where x is
your version.
Update all references of the old drive to the new drive.
Copy the files referenced on the old drive to the new one.
Register the DLL BORDBKx0.DLL in the Common Files\Borland Shared
directory.

Re: Porting Delphi to a New PC

On 21 Aug 2003 08:07:11 -0700, "Elliott Shevin"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Thanks, Chee Wee.

But assume I install Delphi on the new system first. Does that
change your answer?
No, it doesn't. As I said, update all references of the old drive to
the new drive.
I speak with authority on this topic. I have done it (ie, moving Delphi
from one system to another, without any installation at all) many
times.

Re: Porting Delphi to a New PC

Thank you again.
Chee Wee <chuacw@don'tspammerightsecurity.biz>writes:
>Register the DLL BORDBKx0.DLL in the Common Files\Borland
Shared directory.
You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but that is the step I
don't know how to do. :-S
Elliott

Re: Porting Delphi to a New PC

In article <3f4d0e38$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, Elliott Shevin writes:
>>Register the DLL BORDBKx0.DLL in the Common Files\Borland
Shared directory.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but that is the step I
don't know how to do. :-S
Open a command window (DOS prompt). Navigate (via CD) to the Borland
Shared directory (remember to enclose pathnames containing spaces in
double quotes).
Once there type
regsvr32 bordbk60.dll
Use the correct name for your Delphi version, of course.
You can also type the full pathname for the DLL without navigating to
its directory first, but that is a bit cumbersome and error-prone, in
my experience. If you try that, remember the double quotes!
Peter Below (TeamB)
Use the newsgroup archives :
www.mers.com/searchsite.html
www.tamaracka.com/search.htm
groups.google.com
www.prolix.be

Re: Porting Delphi to a New PC

Chee Wee <chuacw@don'tspammerightsecurity.biz>writes:

Export registry keys under HKCU\SOFTWARE\Borland\Delphi x.0 where x is
your version.

Update all references of the old drive to the new drive.

Copy the files referenced on the old drive to the new one.

Register the DLL BORDBKx0.DLL in the Common Files\Borland Shared
directory.

The job is done. Here's the post-mortem.
I decided on a hybrid solution.
First, I exported and edited the registry information from the
old machine, as described above.
Next, I installed Delphi on the new machine. I decided on this
after considering other aspects of the port that the
solution didn't address: filename extension associations and
Start menu entries. This also relieved me of the burdens of
copying the common files directory and registering
BORDBKx0.DLL.
Third, sent the entire C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi x.0
subdirectory structure to the Recycle Bin and copied the
equivalent from the old PC.
Fourth, exported HKCU\SOFTWARE\Borland\Delphi x.0 from the
installation process to back it up, then deleted it from the
registry and imported the edited version from the old PC.
This took care of everything except for one hitch: there
were two add-ons that were referenced in the registry entries,
but which Delphi couldn't find, apparently because I hadn't
also copied the directories that contained them on the old
PC. Reinstalling them solved that issue.
Thanks for everything, Chee Wee. With your help, I avoided
a lot of pain, stress, and pitfalls.
Elliott