Re: Big database

"Steve Weston" <sweston{no spam}@westonmuir.com>writes:
Jorge,

You have an unfortunate situation if your clients don't care enough about
their data to even make backups. it is really unfair of them to blame you for
problems they create.
They thought the db apps. are magic, and behind the scenes i have to improve the app. trying to avoid user errors(but that never cause a db corruption before).
And there is really no reason to blame the problems on
InterBase in that case.
I blame interbase because a electricity crash its not client fault.
I really have to disagree about using Win98 on stand-alone or workstation
PCs. Win98 has some serious memory management problems. It can also scramble
hard disk storage. Both problems can corrupt any database.
I know, and i thought the hw machine or win98 os, causes corruptions for a client ofter, but Sorry again,i never heard about a oracle db corruption using win98.
I can not see how an app can corrupt a database. An app can certainly bring
i never said that, i just ask if some wrong programming causes a db corruption.
Where are you located in Mexico? What kind of apps do you develop? (My
domainname at domainname dot com if you'd like to reply off-topic.) I am in
So. California -- the Palm Springs area right now.
Sorry, why are asking that(mexico location).
I develop middleware apps. for small and meduim bussines, but all this questions are cause i probablly going to develop a bigger db app(wan).
Regards,
Steven S. Weston

Re: Big database

Thomas Steinmaurer <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Bill,

>>I never see the forced writes, probably that could be the reason, but
>>in a stand alone app. who db corrupts each two months, its too much,
>>and i know probaly could be the computer hardware.
>
>Running with forced writes off when IB is running on the user's
>computer is very very likely to cause corruption anytime Windows
>crashes for any reason. You cannot blame IB for the fact that you are
>not using it properly.

I fully agree with that, but AFAIK InterBase 6.0 created databases with
forced writes = off by default, so a novice InterBase 6.0 user didn't
even know that he might get into trouble, cause of this odd behaviour.
You`re right i never notice foreced writes was off. But that is why im asking to learn
Just my 2c.

--
Best Regards,
Thomas Steinmaurer

Re: Big database

"Bill Todd" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Thomas Steinmaurer writes:

>I fully agree with that, but AFAIK InterBase 6.0 created databases
>with forced writes = off by default, so a novice InterBase 6.0
>user didn't even know that he might get into trouble, cause of this
>odd behaviour.

I agree. Forced writes on should be the default. The situation is a bit
more complex with IB2007 where journaling is a better choice than
forced writes.
oh, its good to know that, because i will test ib2007 and set it the journaling better than forced writes
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re: Big database

Jorge,
I blame interbase because a electricity crash its not client fault.
InterBase is extremely tolerant of power failures. But only if forced writes
is turned on. If forced writes is on, then committed transactions will in
most cases be written to the HD. Incomplete transactions will be rolled back
when power is restored. that is an incomplete description of how it works.
See the docs, faqs and TIs for more information.
Also, if the client's data is important to them, they should have a UPS.
Power failures are a fact of life here in the USA (lightning strikes, wind
storms, and grid failures). A UPS will usually cover situations where part
of a committed transaction is written when the power fails.
i never heard about a oracle db corruption using win98.
Oracle 10g requires: "Windows 2000 with service pack 1 or higher or Windows
Server 2003".
Sorry, why are asking that(mexico location).
I asked only because as the North American economies become more integrated,
there are more opportunities for North Americans to work together. For
example, my company uses contract developers based in Canada. Canadian
developers sell apps in the USA. Many US companies focus on Spanish-speaking
markets. Developers based in Mexico have a market for their apps in the USA,
and vice versa. There are opportunities to work together.
--
Steven S. Weston

Re: Big database

">Also, if the client's data is important to them, they should have a UPS.
youre completly right, i always recomend it
Power failures are a fact of life here in the USA (lightning strikes, wind
storms, and grid failures). A UPS will usually cover situations where part
of a committed transaction is written when the power fails.

>i never heard about a oracle db corruption using win98.

Oracle 10g requires: "Windows 2000 with service pack 1 or higher or Windows
Server 2003".
i'm talking about priors versions
>Sorry, why are asking that(mexico location).

I asked only because as the North American economies become more integrated,
there are more opportunities for North Americans to work together. For
example, my company uses contract developers based in Canada. Canadian
developers sell apps in the USA. Many US companies focus on Spanish-speaking
markets. Developers based in Mexico have a market for their apps in the USA,
and vice versa. There are opportunities to work together.
I appreciate your interest for chances of work together, i will be willing if there is any chance to do it. Just tell me what we have to do.
Regards
Steven S. Weston