How do they do this......

2003-08-02 12:27:09 AM
delphi270
Just curious..
How can these people know if an email has been read?
www.readnotify.com/plugin.asp/from/gleemlplg2
Trev

Re:How do they do this......

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 17:27:09 +0100, Trev writes:
How can these people know if an email has been read?

www.readnotify.com/plugin.asp/from/gleemlplg2
Dunno. Send one to yourself (or better a webmail account) and find out :)
johannes

Re:How do they do this......

www.readnotify.com/readnotify/faq.asp
"Trev" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Just curious..

How can these people know if an email has been read?

www.readnotify.com/plugin.asp/from/gleemlplg2

Trev

Re:How do they do this......

To elaborate, it looks like they use some sort of MDN mechanism similar to
AS2 software programs - you send data thru them, they assign an ID and pass
it on. What method do they use to transfer data back to their server? I
would guess e-mail or "some transport" built into the various e-mail
packages. I suppose you could make yourself the receipient and monitor the
outgoing traffic once you send a message to your client...
"Mike B" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>Just curious..
>
>How can these people know if an email has been read?
>
>www.readnotify.com/plugin.asp/from/gleemlplg2
>
>Trev

Re:How do they do this......

Mike B writes:
it on. What method do they use to transfer data back to their server? I
I think they use return-receipt added to the email.
I use Mozilla as my mail reader and try to send two mails to myself.
When I open the mail, Mozilla ask me to send a return-receipt back to
the sender.
First mail, I choose not to ack the return-receipt and I didn't get any
further message.
Second mail, I choose to send the return-receipt and I got a message
from ReadNotify server that the second mail has been displayed by the
recipient.
Well I never use Outlook, but if you didn't get the return-receipt
confirmation from Outlook, it looks like Outlook has some mechanisms to
automatically send a return-receipt without your consent.
Yeahhh... that is one of the reasons why I don't really like M$ product.
Too much hidden processes (whether intentionally or unintentionally)
which I, as the user has minimum/no ability to control them.
Edy

Re:How do they do this......

... or they just add HTML code that contains frame or picture. If your
message was plain text, then it will be converted to HTML anyway.
dumb
"dumb" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
They replace message body with HTML (most likely frame) that open your
message body from their server. that is why they can be sure that email was
read and find out your location.

dumb

"Edy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Mike B writes:
>>it on. What method do they use to transfer data back to their server?
>
>I think they use return-receipt added to the email.
>I use Mozilla as my mail reader and try to send two mails to myself.
>When I open the mail, Mozilla ask me to send a return-receipt back to
>the sender.
>First mail, I choose not to ack the return-receipt and I didn't get any
>further message.
>Second mail, I choose to send the return-receipt and I got a message
>from ReadNotify server that the second mail has been displayed by the
>recipient.
>
>Well I never use Outlook, but if you didn't get the return-receipt
>confirmation from Outlook, it looks like Outlook has some mechanisms to
>automatically send a return-receipt without your consent.
>Yeahhh... that is one of the reasons why I don't really like M$ product.
>Too much hidden processes (whether intentionally or unintentionally)
>which I, as the user has minimum/no ability to control them.
>

>Edy

Re:How do they do this......

That would have been my guess too.
"dumb" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>They replace message body with HTML (most likely frame) that open your
>message body from their server. that is why they can be sure that email
was
>read and find out your location.
>
>dumb
>

>"Edy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>Mike B writes:
>>>it on. What method do they use to transfer data back to their
server?

>>I think they use return-receipt added to the email.
>>I use Mozilla as my mail reader and try to send two mails to myself.
>>When I open the mail, Mozilla ask me to send a return-receipt back to
>>the sender.
>>First mail, I choose not to ack the return-receipt and I didn't get
any
>>further message.
>>Second mail, I choose to send the return-receipt and I got a message
>>from ReadNotify server that the second mail has been displayed by the
>>recipient.
>>
>>Well I never use Outlook, but if you didn't get the return-receipt
>>confirmation from Outlook, it looks like Outlook has some mechanisms
>>automatically send a return-receipt without your consent.
>>Yeahhh... that is one of the reasons why I don't really like M$
product.
>>Too much hidden processes (whether intentionally or unintentionally)
>>which I, as the user has minimum/no ability to control them.
>>

>>Edy

Re:How do they do this......

dumb writes:
... or they just add HTML code that contains frame or picture. If your
message was plain text, then it will be converted to HTML anyway.

dumb
I'm not really sure about this.
Like I said before, I sent 2 emails thru their server.
The first mail, I didn't instruct my mail reader (Mozilla) to send a
return-receipt, although I have 'display' it many times.
The second email, I confirmed Mozilla to send a return-receipt back to
their server.
For the first mail (which I never sent a return-receipt) until now I
still have not got any confirmation/subsequent notification from the
server to inform me that the 1st mail has been read by the recipient.
But for second mail (which I sent a return-receipt) I did receive a
notification from the server informing me that the mail has been read by
the recipient.
Edy