GUI tools for Oracle Express Edition

I would like to use the Oracle Express Edition as backend, what GUI
tools I can use to set up the user and password login?

Re:GUI tools for Oracle Express Edition

Moore wrote :
I would like to use the Oracle Express Edition as backend, what GUI
tools I can use to set up the user and password login?
How about the EMS SQL Manager for Oracle.
www.sqlmanager.net/products/oracle/manager
Disclaimer
I haven't used any oracle managers or oracle for that matter I am
evaluating SQL Manager for Firebird from this company and I find it
excelent so far, so I suppose that the Oracle product will have the
same level of quality.
Regards
Yannis.

Re:GUI tools for Oracle Express Edition

You may use our freeware DIM: Database Information Manager:
www.scalabium.com/dim
"Moore" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I would like to use the Oracle Express Edition as backend, what GUI
tools I can use to set up the user and password login?

Re:GUI tools for Oracle Express Edition

I would like to use the Oracle Express Edition as backend, what GUI
tools I can use to set up the user and password login?
Toad used to be the way to go, at www.toadsoft.com. I think they still have
a freeware version.
Oliver Townshend

Re:GUI tools for Oracle Express Edition

I would like to use the Oracle Express Edition as backend, what GUI
tools I can use to set up the user and password login?
Database Workbench supports Oracle (XE), see:
www.upscene.com
--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 00:09:47 +0200, Moore writes:
I would like to use the Oracle Express Edition as backend, what GUI
tools I can use to set up the user and password login?
Another option is Oracle SQL Developer aka Raptor
www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/sql_developer/index.html
--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com

Marc Rohloff [TeamB] writes:
>I would like to use the Oracle Express Edition as backend, what GUI
>tools I can use to set up the user and password login?
Another option is Oracle SQL Developer aka Raptor
This makes me wonder about the market for independent
vendors in the app/dev/dba segment of the Oracle market.
TOAD, PL/SQL Developer (allroundautomations) must surely
be hurt by a free app like this (although it is a dog on
Windows - it took ages to start up on a 2GB RAM machine
for me.
Paul...

Paul Linehan writes:
This makes me wonder about the market for independent
vendors in the app/dev/dba segment of the Oracle market.
Oracle Express is not a viable option for ISV's because it is limited
to a single Oracle instance with a single database per machine. If a
user wants to install vendor A's app and vendor B's app on the same
machine the user's only option is to buy the full Oracle product.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:GUI tools for Oracle Express Edition

This makes me wonder about the market for independent
vendors in the app/dev/dba segment of the Oracle market.
They still there because differentiation:
In my opinion TOAD is the finnest of them and worth each penny.
TOAD, PL/SQL Developer (allroundautomations) must surely
be hurt by a free app like this (although it is a dog on
Windows - it took ages to start up on a 2GB RAM machine
for me.
Could be but remeber that there is no free lunch: free tools are very
funtionally limited compared with commercial ones such TOAD in which you
can acomplish in less time more tasks.
What is more expensive?
The tools for developers or the hourly rate of the developer?

Re:GUI tools for Oracle Express Edition

TOAD, PL/SQL Developer (allroundautomations) must surely
be hurt by a free app like this (although it is a dog on
Windows - it took ages to start up on a 2GB RAM machine
for me.
Toad was once free (back in 1999), and now isn't, so they can hardly
complain :)
Oliver Townshend

Bill Todd writes:
>This makes me wonder about the market for independent
>vendors in the app/dev/dba segment of the Oracle market.
Oracle Express is not a viable option for ISV's because it is limited
to a single Oracle instance with a single database per machine. If a
user wants to install vendor A's app and vendor B's app on the same
machine the user's only option is to buy the full Oracle product.
I really meant developer tools, such as TOAD, PL/SQL Developer
and the like, not the actual db itself. There are a number of
free databases out there (PostgreSQL, Firebird inter alia), but
this is an admin tool from Oracle itself which appears to be
a competitor for TOAD and PL/SQL Developer.
AFAICS, this will make life difficult for these tool suppliers.
Although I have just been messing with it, and it is quite a resource
hog.
Paul...

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:04:11 +1000, Oliver Townshend writes:
Toad was once free (back in 1999), and now isn't, so they can hardly
complain :)
There is still a free version of Toad (www.toadsoft.com) although you
need to update every few months.
--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com

Re:GUI tools for Oracle Express Edition

>>I would like to use the Oracle Express Edition as backend, what GUI
>>tools I can use to set up the user and password login?

>Another option is Oracle SQL Developer aka Raptor

This makes me wonder about the market for independent
vendors in the app/dev/dba segment of the Oracle market.
We're selling our Database Workbench for Oracle just fine.
TOAD, PL/SQL Developer (allroundautomations) must surely
be hurt by a free app like this (although it is a dog on
Windows - it took ages to start up on a 2GB RAM machine
for me.
:-)
I guess it is about offering other/different/better features compared
to the Oracle SQL Developer tool.