ADO vs. BDE vs. dbExpress

2004-05-25 12:52:32 AM
delphi99
I'm using Delphi 7 Enterprise...
All my applications currently use the BDE to access our databases.
This is a legacy going back to the "Client/Server Version" days when
the BDE was the only included method of native access to Oracle.
Due to some problems with the now unsupported BDE, I am looking for a
solution that can support multiple back end databases (SQL Server,
Oracle, etc.)
ADO and dbExpress both seem to do the trick, but before I start
cutting and pasting everything, I am wondering if I will see some
performance hits,
functionality losses, etc. based on the change. ADO uses ODBC, which
(I've heard) is not as fast as the native access we currently get with
the BDE.
Anyone have any experience they can share with this type of change?

Re:ADO vs. BDE vs. dbExpress

Mark,
using D5 pro and MS SQL Server, i changed from BDE to ADO two years ago.
Did not see any slow downs. But i am programming real client/server and so
most of
the work is done in the database by stored procs, the client sends only the
commands
and reads the results it can display on the screen. If you still use tables
where all
records are read when opening, it can be between a little bit slower and not
usable
because the BDE includes a lot of logic to prevent you from such situations.
With
ADo you have to take care about this by yourself (especially when you change
old
applications from BDE to ADO, i think copy and paste is not enough).
But ADO is absolut stable (i am using the adonis components) and it is a lot
more
comfortable if there is no longer need for installing BDE on every client.
I would never go back to BDE.
bye,
Helmut

"hwoess" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:<40b34744$0$15484$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
Mark,

using D5 pro and MS SQL Server, i changed from BDE to ADO two years ago.
Did not see any slow downs. But i am programming real client/server and so
most of
the work is done in the database by stored procs, the client sends only the
commands
and reads the results it can display on the screen. If you still use tables
where all
records are read when opening, it can be between a little bit slower and not
usable
We do a lot of back end processing (stored proc, triggers, etc.) to
take the weight off the client, so I think ADO might work OK for us. I
did notice that the dbExpress was a little less intutive to set up the
objects (for example, dragging several of them to my form just to
display a query result in a grid).