Registration

2003-12-10 01:42:37 AM
delphi86
It seems Borland has finally realized that the software registration process
is getting out of hand and hard to cope with for the average developer. So
C++BuilderX now comes with a getting started guide that dedicates two full
pages to the registration process, including two flow-chart diagrams
explaining the exact steps, apparently targeted at those of us who don't do
well with reading more then 5 consecutive words of prose. Kudos!

Re:Registration

hi there
i would like to implement a registration form where i will generate a key to
the user.
where do i start.
any help?
Jules

Re:Registration

i would like to implement a registration form where i will generate a
key to the user.
where do i start.

any help?
Your post is very unclear. It would be helpful (perhaps even to
yourself, to order your thoughts) to specify more clearly what you want.
Do i understand you want to do some form of product activation? Or do
you just want a form that sends data filled in by the user to your
server? Or do you mean something completely different and is internet
communication not an issue?
What is the key meant for, identification or encryption? What should
the key be like?
What is the problem that caused you to ask this; what part is
problematic for you to implement?
Without more information on what you want it is hard to give any
sensible advise.

Re:Registration

thanks,
here is what i want ( hopefuly i will be clear)
i have written a software. I'd like
my software has a new key for each user.
1. generate a production activation key with encryption if possible
depending on the key that the user will provide (the user provide the
installation key).
2. I'd like to record the user email in a database for example-- a form
filled by the user that send data to my server.
that's it really.
"Avatar Zondertau" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM (please reply to newsgroup)>wrote in
message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>i would like to implement a registration form where i will generate a
>key to the user.
>where do i start.
>
>any help?

Your post is very unclear. It would be helpful (perhaps even to
yourself, to order your thoughts) to specify more clearly what you want.

Do i understand you want to do some form of product activation? Or do
you just want a form that sends data filled in by the user to your
server? Or do you mean something completely different and is internet
communication not an issue?

What is the key meant for, identification or encryption? What should
the key be like?

What is the problem that caused you to ask this; what part is
problematic for you to implement?

Without more information on what you want it is hard to give any
sensible advise.

Re:Registration

here is what i want ( hopefuly i will be clear)

i have written a software. I'd like
my software has a new key for each user.

1. generate a production activation key with encryption if possible
depending on the key that the user will provide (the user provide the
installation key).
The most common approach to generate a new key (activation code) from
an old one (installation key) is to
- Append a secret fixed byte sequence (challenge) to the old key
- Use a hash function on the result
- The result is the new key
This makes sure users cannot perform the conversion themselves (because
they don't know the secret challenge) and they cannot calculate the old
key from the new (because of the hashing).
Such a key can be used for symmetric (secret key) encryption, but not
for asymmetric (public key) encryption.
Commonly used hash functions are MD5 and SHA-1; both of these have many
Delphi implementations, including free ones.
2. I'd like to record the user email in a database for example--
a form filled by the user that send data to my server.
The easiest way to do that is probably to use HTTP to send a form POST
to your server. This can be done using Indy, which is pre-installed for
Delphi 6 & 7 and can be downloaded here for Delphi 5:
www.indyproject.org/download/index.iwp
The TIdHTTP object is a HTTP client, which you can instruct to post
data to the server.

Re:Registration

Is the registration service working? I have just recently installed Vista
and I am trying to register BDS2006 SP 2 (with hotfix rollup) and it just
comes up with:
Cannot connect to registration server. (Error Number: 4)
Socket Error # 10054
Connection reset by peer.
(I've tried turning off the firewall but that made no difference)
I've tried 2 days in a row now and it hasn't worked either day. I have
14 days left... but I would like to get rid of the annoying registration
dialog today.
I'm assuming this may have something to do with the Borland ->CodeGear
switch over?
Thanks,
Kevin.

Re:Registration

I ran into a similar problem the other day (XP Pro, no Vista in sight) and
just followed the link and completed the registration via the web with no
problems.
Ray Porter
"Kevin B" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Kevin B writes:
I'm assuming this may have something to do with the Borland ->
CodeGear switch over?
Kevin --
I'm sorry that you've had trouble.
Have you tried registering on the web? You can go to
reg.borland.com
and input your information, and it will send you an email with the
registration information you need.
I'm working on "CodeGearizing" all that.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re:Registration

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
reg.borland.com
I get "The connection was reset" when visiting this URL using a browser. :-(

Re:Registration

Kevin B writes:
I get "The connection was reset" when visiting this URL using a browser.
:-(
And when I phone the US/Canada number 800-523-7070 I get:
"Due to system difficulties there are no agents to take your call"
Great!

Re:Registration

Kevin B writes:
I get "The connection was reset" when visiting this URL using a
browser. :-(
Can't explain that -- sorry you are having trouble.
I just VNC'ed into my machine back in Minnesota, and it was able to get
reg.borland.com
without problems. What happens on a tracert?
--

Kevin B writes:
Kevin B writes:
>I get "The connection was reset" when visiting this URL using a
>browser. :-(

And when I phone the US/Canada number 800-523-7070 I get:

"Due to system difficulties there are no agents to take your call"
Hi Kevin,
Can you send me an email with your serial number, authorization key and
registration code?
You can obtain the registration code from the registration wizard
(bdsreg in the BDS\4.0\bin directory) when you select the "Register by
Phone or Web" option.
Once you send me that, I will send you an activation file.
Thanks.

Re:Registration

Chee Wee [CodeGear] writes:
Once you send me that, I will send you an activation file.
OK Chee Wee I have sent the details to you.
Thanks,
Kevin.

Re:Registration

After going through this mess (still unresolved) I would just like to vote
against activation for CodeGear going forward. Would it be possible to
get rid of this awful process?
I'd just like to make a few points about developers that makes
activation unfeasible:
* We like to re-install our systems frequently (relative to regular users).
* We like to play with new OSes.
* We test apps on multiple OSes and sometimes need to debug them on
multiple OSes.
* We often have laptops as well as desktops and use both.
* We like to work after hours on projects (sometimes).
I'm OK with activation (as a user) if I am downloading software over the
Internet as a trial version. However, when it comes to a purchased CD
I'd like to not have to activate it.
I've now wasted an hour just trying to activate Delphi.
Thanks,
Kevin.

Re:Registration

Kevin B writes:
I've now wasted an hour just trying to activate Delphi.
Thanks to Chee Wee it is now finally working! It was still way too
tedious...
Also, I think the wizard should automatically take you to the phone
number/web page activation if it fails with an error. (even though this
wouldn't have helped in my case)
Cheers,
Kevin.