Listbox & listview variants

Hi there

I'm currently designing medical software and am looking for a Delphi
4.0 visual component that has the following properties:

Information is to be listed in columns eg-

PATIENT NAME | AGE  | GENDER
Name1        | 27   | Male
Name2        | 42   | Female   | <EDIT ME>

I'd like the whole row to be selected when a column is clicked in (eg-
click Name1 and the age and sex are highlighted). I'd also like the
EDIT ME button on certain items to call a procedure that edits patient
details. I've been looking at listboxes and listviews, but they don't
seem to have the properties I need.

Can anyone help as I've been looking around and have not had much luck.
I'd be most grateful.

Regards

Dr Alex Chambers
Torbay Hospital

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Re:Listbox & listview variants

<alichamb...@madasafish.com> wrote:
> Hi there

> I'm currently designing medical software and am looking for a Delphi
> 4.0 visual component that has the following properties:

> Information is to be listed in columns eg-

> PATIENT NAME | AGE  | GENDER
> Name1        | 27   | Male
> Name2        | 42   | Female   | <EDIT ME>

> I'd like the whole row to be selected when a column is clicked in (eg-
> click Name1 and the age and sex are highlighted). I'd also like the
> EDIT ME button on certain items to call a procedure that edits patient
> details. I've been looking at listboxes and listviews, but they don't
> seem to have the properties I need.

You could customise the flexible TStringGrid or TDrawGrid.
They should be capable of handling the above mentioned needs.

-ThomasN

<alichamb...@madasafish.com> wrote in message

> Hi there

<snipped>

> Dr Alex Chambers
> Torbay Hospital

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

TStringGrid seems to just about fit the bill.

Are you a doctor of medicine? If so, have you any objections to IT folk
treating your patients?

P.

Re:Listbox & listview variants

Thanks for your advice.

Yes, I am a doctor of medicine and I am moving into IT. You are welcome
to treat patients, however, I wouldn't mention it to the media or the
GMC!

AC

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Re:Listbox & listview variants

<alichamb...@madasafish.com> wrote in message

> Hi there

> I'm currently designing medical software and am looking for a Delphi
> 4.0 visual component that has the following properties:

> Information is to be listed in columns eg-

> PATIENT NAME | AGE  | GENDER
> Name1        | 27   | Male
> Name2        | 42   | Female   | <EDIT ME>

> I'd like the whole row to be selected when a column is clicked in (eg-
> click Name1 and the age and sex are highlighted). I'd also like the
> EDIT ME button on certain items to call a procedure that edits patient
> details. I've been looking at listboxes and listviews, but they don't
> seem to have the properties I need.

> Can anyone help as I've been looking around and have not had much luck.
> I'd be most grateful.

You don't mention how the data is stored. This can make a real difference in
what component(s) can/should be used.

Re:Listbox & listview variants

The data will be store in an XML format, eg:

<XML etc...>
<NAME>
name1
<AGE>
27
etc...

and will be parsed by a standard XML parser. The appropriate fields
will then be stored in a listbox variant (topic here) for display.

Alex C.

In article <mOEd6.8216$Oe.37...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>,
  "Bruce Roberts" <b...@bounceitattcanada.xnet> wrote:

> You don't mention how the data is stored. This can make a real
difference in
> what component(s) can/should be used.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/