Delphi Vs Altia Design

Hi,

Wasnt sure where to post this one.

I am currently developing an asynchronous application, currently the
base code is in C++ with the GUI front-end developed with Altia
Design.

I just wondered whether any Delphi devlopers had used Altia to do GUI
work, I wondered if you could share your views on the two systems.  I
am new to Delphi and mainly wanted your views on the performance
issues associated, also what facilities does Delphi have for network
programming (i.e. overlapped I/O, asynchronous I/O support?).

Any oppinions on the merits of both Altia and Delphi would be much
appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.

Re:Delphi Vs Altia Design

engdm...@yahoo.com (Dave) wrote in message <news:274ea43b.0304070653.6796da49@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,

> Wasnt sure where to post this one.

> I am currently developing an asynchronous application, currently the
> base code is in C++ with the GUI front-end developed with Altia
> Design.

> I just wondered whether any Delphi devlopers had used Altia to do GUI
> work, I wondered if you could share your views on the two systems.  I
> am new to Delphi and mainly wanted your views on the performance
> issues associated, also what facilities does Delphi have for network
> programming (i.e. overlapped I/O, asynchronous I/O support?).

> Any oppinions on the merits of both Altia and Delphi would be much
> appreciated.

> Cheers,
> Dave.

Dave,
I believe I could help you here as I am heavily involved
with Altia and have a full Delphi background.
If you could be a little more specific about your
project it would help me to give you a more helpful reply.
Thanks,
Ian

Re:Delphi Vs Altia Design

> Dave,
> I believe I could help you here as I am heavily involved
> with Altia and have a full Delphi background.
> If you could be a little more specific about your
> project it would help me to give you a more helpful reply.
> Thanks,
> Ian

Basically, I am writing an asynchronous network application, it will
have multiple sockets, both client and server, and must be able to
handle around 12 connections at once.

The GUI is supposed to represent a simulator that will simulate the
data exchange between the GUI and the other end, in this case an
Elctro-Optical system.

The problem is that the latency of the ethernet signals has to be very
low, this coupled with all the threading involved I feel that Altia
may not be very good for this purpose.

I am using altia becasue I already have all the asynchronous socket
libraries etc. available in C++, I just have to create a GUI around
it.

The problem is Altia is just a runtime GUI, so not only will I have
the latency from Altia Runtime itself but also the Windows message
buffer.

All I want to know is if you have done something similar to this, will
Delphi be any better than Altia for performance?

You may ask why Delphi, basically where I work everything is either
done in Altia or Delphi, so there are compatibility issues.

Other Threads