BDE guru needed...

How can I kill a runaway SQL query (local or server based) without
trashing Windows (9x or NT)

I have a group of Rocket Scientists that I have written a SQL app for.
This app lets them query a group of local tables for sales results
(they're all SQL wannabees)

Believe it or not, there have been occasions where they have created
2+gig cartesean joins (that tend to clog up the network lines) I want
a method that will KILL the query without trashing the system and
necessitating a reboot.

Is there some special bde call or method that will terminate a SQL
statement running against local (.DBF) tables? Is it easily
transported to back end servers?

Any help is [groupwise] appreciated!

Thanks!

Bill Artemik
Programmer / Analyst
Droste Consultants, Inc.
bill@aintnospam_droste1.com
(remove aintnospam_)

"There are TWO secrets to complete success in life:
    1). NEVER tell them everything you know."

Re:BDE guru needed...

On 29 Nov 1999 20:08:02 -0600 Bill Artemik wrote:

> How can I kill a runaway SQL query (local or server based) without
> trashing Windows (9x or NT)

> I have a group of Rocket Scientists that I have written a SQL app for.
> This app lets them query a group of local tables for sales results
> (they're all SQL wannabees)

> Believe it or not, there have been occasions where they have created
> 2+gig cartesean joins (that tend to clog up the network lines) I want
> a method that will KILL the query without trashing the system and
> necessitating a reboot.

> Is there some special bde call or method that will terminate a SQL
> statement running against local (.DBF) tables? Is it easily
> transported to back end servers?

I think I already answered your question in another newsgroup
(eventhough now it's a group of rocket scientists ;)

Put the queries into threads. If you kill the thread, the query will
be gone, too.
I have some code snippets for that (different ways to use a thread).
If you want 'em, fire an email.

Bye, Udo

Other Threads