need advice: upgrade from D2 Dev

Hello everybody,
Now that D5 is out I wonder if I should upgrade to D3 or D4 or D5. Why
should I? What should I go for? D3 Pro? D4 Standard or Pro?

I know there are a few bugs in D2. Instead of saying ' we are awfully
sorry, here is the fix' they want me to upgrade. After all, it's only
a couple of hundred quid.

What will I gain? What is 'better'? I still remember I have been told
that D2 was the fastest, compactest, best blah-dee-blah. The same
things they tell me now.

So should I upgrade? I am just doing a bit of home programming.

Thanks,
Steve

Re:need advice: upgrade from D2 Dev

Our programming team will be moving to Delphi 5 in the near future.  It's
ADO, interbase, and automation tools are compelling enough for us.  However,
we're an ASP shop and a 5% improvement in speed = millions of dollars in
profit gain so it's well worth the money to us.

Stephen Haugh wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> Now that D5 is out I wonder if I should upgrade to D3 or D4 or D5. Why
> should I? What should I go for? D3 Pro? D4 Standard or Pro?

> I know there are a few bugs in D2. Instead of saying ' we are awfully
> sorry, here is the fix' they want me to upgrade. After all, it's only
> a couple of hundred quid.

> What will I gain? What is 'better'? I still remember I have been told
> that D2 was the fastest, compactest, best blah-dee-blah. The same
> things they tell me now.

486's were once the best PC processors. Now they are considered obsolete
because they have been superceded by something better. Delphi is no
different.

> So should I upgrade? I am just doing a bit of home programming.

If you're just doing home programming I wouldn't bother. From my
programming point of view the improvements of Delphi 3 & 4 over Delphi 2
has been better webserver stuff (ISAPI and CGI-Win stuff), smaller DLL
sizes and heaps of better components especially internet components.
Delphi 4 is also better in that it has dynamic arrays.

--
"If your art becomes pop you're just a dead clown" - the quote of many a
{*word*99} musician

Re:need advice: upgrade from D2 Dev

If you do upgrade, don't  count on being able to port any of your Delphi 2
projects into Delphi 5.  There are absolute showstoppers that prevent this
from happening with all but the most vanilla applications.  If you plan to
do internet stuff, then Delphi 5 is better.

Richard Shoop
The Precis Group, Inc.

Stephen Haugh <s.ha...@octocad.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hello everybody,
> Now that D5 is out I wonder if I should upgrade to D3 or D4 or D5. Why
> should I? What should I go for? D3 Pro? D4 Standard or Pro?

> I know there are a few bugs in D2. Instead of saying ' we are awfully
> sorry, here is the fix' they want me to upgrade. After all, it's only
> a couple of hundred quid.

> What will I gain? What is 'better'? I still remember I have been told
> that D2 was the fastest, compactest, best blah-dee-blah. The same
> things they tell me now.

> So should I upgrade? I am just doing a bit of home programming.

> Thanks,
> Steve

Re:need advice: upgrade from D2 Dev

If you're doing any database programming, a BDE upgrade
may help with some of your problems, and it's a free
download.

And, if you're doing any database program, don't consider
a Delphi 5 upgrade unless you can afford to at least get
the Pro.
--
Rick Carter
carte...@email.uc.edu

Re:need advice: upgrade from D2 Dev

thanks for your tips. I think I will have a look around the freeware
components you get for D3 or D4. Borland offered D3 Pro for 75 quid to
me. I might go for it, although still a bit dear.

thanks again,
Stephan

On 6 Sep 1999 06:12:53 GMT, carte...@news.ececs.uc.edu (Richard

Carter) wrote:
>If you're doing any database programming, a BDE upgrade
>may help with some of your problems, and it's a free
>download.

>And, if you're doing any database program, don't consider
>a Delphi 5 upgrade unless you can afford to at least get
>the Pro.
>--
>Rick Carter
>carte...@email.uc.edu