Newbie Question: Switching between forms

Greetings,

I'm a newbie to Delphi (using v3 Professional) and I've reached a stage
where I'm trying to switch between two different forms.  Both of these forms
can be instigated from the main menu.  One form is a detail screen for
updating/adding/deleting records.  The other form is a name browse.  I want
to be able to go back and forth between them using controls on the forms,
and not having to use the main menu, just for added flexibility.  I can do
it to some degree, but after awhile I get the following message:

"Project psClaims.exe raised exception class EInvalidOperation with message
'Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window'.  Process stopped.  Use Step
or Run to continue."

Yes, I'm doing this in the environment.

I've gone through the manuals, trying to understand this "disabled or
invisible window" thing, and I confess I'm not having a lot of luck.
Possibly I've looked right at the answer and didn't know that was it.  If
someone could give me some assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA,

Paul

Re:Newbie Question: Switching between forms

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:51:43 GMT,  Paul  Pigott, apparently lost,
wandered into the group and said:

>Greetings,

>I'm a newbie to Delphi (using v3 Professional) and I've reached a stage
>where I'm trying to switch between two different forms.  Both of these forms
>can be instigated from the main menu.  One form is a detail screen for
>updating/adding/deleting records.  The other form is a name browse.  I want
>to be able to go back and forth between them using controls on the forms,
>and not having to use the main menu, just for added flexibility.  I can do
>it to some degree, but after awhile I get the following message:

>"Project psClaims.exe raised exception class EInvalidOperation with message
>'Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window'.  Process stopped.  Use Step
>or Run to continue."

>Yes, I'm doing this in the environment.

>I've gone through the manuals, trying to understand this "disabled or
>invisible window" thing, and I confess I'm not having a lot of luck.
>Possibly I've looked right at the answer and didn't know that was it.  If
>someone could give me some assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

>TIA,

>Paul

Please don't cross-post, as you will upset the natives.

You must be showing a form modally. If you are, you will get that error.
Or, you are using the Always On Top property of the form that is not
agreeing with something.

Posting some of the code you use to show these forms will help a lot
more in understanding your problem and then finding a solution to it.

Ryan

Re:Newbie Question: Switching between forms

JRS:  In article <m6jrguk4gp2jdgtuisvgjge119jtnur...@4ax.com>, seen in
news:alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi, Ryan Styles <r...@r.ru> posted at Mon,
17 Jun 2002 11:51:14 :-

>Please don't cross-post, as you will upset the natives.

There is nothing wrong with reasonable cross-posting; it is multi-
posting which is generally incorrect.

The OP chose to cross-post to alt.comp.borland-delphi and
alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi, the first of which seems not to be, in the
opinion of my skilled Newsmaster, a genuine newsgroup, even by ALT
standards.  Please use the URLs below.

--
? John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk   Turnpike v4.00   MIME ?
 Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/news-use.htm> :  about usage of News.

Re:Newbie Question: Switching between forms

Woops.  Never mind everyone.  I was doing something stupid.  Thanks anyway.

Paul

"Paul Pigott" <paulpig...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Greetings,

> I'm a newbie to Delphi (using v3 Professional) and I've reached a stage
> where I'm trying to switch between two different forms.  Both of these
forms
> can be instigated from the main menu.  One form is a detail screen for
> updating/adding/deleting records.  The other form is a name browse.  I
want
> to be able to go back and forth between them using controls on the forms,
> and not having to use the main menu, just for added flexibility.  I can do
> it to some degree, but after awhile I get the following message:

> "Project psClaims.exe raised exception class EInvalidOperation with
message
> 'Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window'.  Process stopped.  Use Step
> or Run to continue."

> Yes, I'm doing this in the environment.

> I've gone through the manuals, trying to understand this "disabled or
> invisible window" thing, and I confess I'm not having a lot of luck.
> Possibly I've looked right at the answer and didn't know that was it.  If
> someone could give me some assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

> TIA,

> Paul

Other Threads