spaces in file names

We find that if there are spaces in the path names used to access
database files over networks (verified with Novell and also
Samba), an "Invalid file name" exception is generated when
active is set to true. Can anyone suggest a workaround?
I have tried all manner of quotes and square brackets
to no avail. Our local Borland office suggested replacing
the spaces with underscores but this did not work
(nor did I expect it to).

Specifically, we are using the BDE's funny internal aliases
to set up the directory for our Paradox tables, rather than
creating a real alias or setting each table's directory
individually, like so:

RisingDB.Params.Clear;
RisingDB.Params.Add('PATH=' + dataDirectory);
RisingDB.Params.Add('DEFAULT DRIVER=PARADOX');
RisingDB.Params.Add('ENABLE BCD=FALSE');

dataDirectory may contain spaces.

thanks,

Hamish