User/Administrator permitions

Hi,
i wrote an FTP client application on Delphi 6 under Win2000. When i
install it on a computer and log on as administrator it work OK. When i
log on as a regular user it fails not indicating what is the probleme.
On my computer i log on as administrator. Should i recompieled the
application when log on as a user ? or how can i modify the regular user
profile so that it will work OK ? Could i check user / administrator
permitions from my application ?

Thanks

Ofer

On my development computer i log on as administrator

Re:User/Administrator permitions

Hi,
i'm using the Indy components set. more specific, i'm using IdFtp,
IdIcmpClient, IdAntiFreeze, and beside a timer, button, gauge, and some editbox
and listbox. The application uppload some files to the server and download some
other files. No special / complicated operation is done. Any idea ?

Thanks

Ofer

> Hi,
> i'm using the Indy components set. more specific, i'm using IdFtp,
> IdIcmpClient, IdAntiFreeze, and beside a timer, button, gauge, and some
> editbox and listbox. The application uppload some files to the server
> and download some other files. No special / complicated operation is
> done. Any idea ?

Yup: ICMP. Under NT, You can't use the ICMP component if you're not member of
the local administrator group.

Good luck,
Stephane

"Ofer Gaatone" <o...@roseman.co.il> wrote in message

> i'm using the Indy components set. more specific, i'm using IdFtp,
> IdIcmpClient, IdAntiFreeze, and beside a timer, button, gauge, and some
editbox
> and listbox. The application uppload some files to the server and download
some
> other files. No special / complicated operation is done. Any idea ?

Check the help file under the TIdIcmpClient topic:

Note: For Windows NT, and Windows 2000, administrator privileges are
required to allow TIdICMPClient.Ping to work properly.

This may apply to XP also, but I could not test it since I don' use XP.

hth...
--
Don

The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'
(Isaac Asimov)

ELKNews - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Re:User/Administrator permitions

Thanks !
yet, it seems strange to me that you can't use TIdICMPClient.Ping
when log on as a regular user. Could i modify a little the standard
user profile or it MUST be an administrator ?
Does other PING components have the same requirement ?

Thanks

Ofer

"Don Siders [Team Indy]" wrote:

> > Stephane Grobety wrote:

> > > What component and component set are you using ??

> "Ofer Gaatone" <o...@roseman.co.il> wrote in message

> > i'm using the Indy components set. more specific, i'm using IdFtp,
> > IdIcmpClient, IdAntiFreeze, and beside a timer, button, gauge, and some
> editbox
> > and listbox. The application uppload some files to the server and download
> some
> > other files. No special / complicated operation is done. Any idea ?

> Check the help file under the TIdIcmpClient topic:

> Note: For Windows NT, and Windows 2000, administrator privileges are
> required to allow TIdICMPClient.Ping to work properly.

> This may apply to XP also, but I could not test it since I don' use XP.

> hth...
> --
> Don

> The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
> the one that heralds new discoveries, is not
> 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'
> (Isaac Asimov)

> ELKNews - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Re:User/Administrator permitions

which meens that instead of using an "extended user" i'll have to use a "thin
administrator".

Correct ?

Ofer

> which meens that instead of using an "extended user" i'll have to use a
> "thin administrator".

> Correct ?

Correct. Another option is to create a "Ping Service" running as system and
connecting to that service through RPC or command handler

Good luck,
Stephane

Re:User/Administrator permitions

Try with fpiette ping.

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:37:06 +0200, Ofer Gaatone found a keyboard and wrote:

> which meens that instead of using an "extended user" i'll have to use a "thin
> administrator".

I've long not worked with windows, but my WinNT4 had the option to just
grant single rights, but I don't know about Win2k, I just quickly looked
but couldn't find anything, but I also don't know what rights you need to
craft raw ip packets, it might be one of the rights in the security policy
thing.

johannes

Other Threads