Mixing 16-bit and 32-bit BDE

I need to use Delphi 1 applications with Delphi 4 applications using same
database. So I have to install both BDEs and run them same time. Anyone have
any experience of this?

Yours sincerely,

Petri Holopainen

CUBiX Ltd, 34 Candlemas lane, Beaconsfield, Bucks, HP9 1AF, UK
tel: + 44 1494 678 661 fax: + 44 1494 678 663
email: pe...@cubix.co.uk
www: http://www.cubix.co.uk

Re:Mixing 16-bit and 32-bit BDE

First install D1 and the BDE. After installation copy the contents of the
BDE dir to another directory. Then install D4 and let the BDE be installed
in the same BDE dir. Then once again copy the contents of that dir to a
third dir.
By copying the BDE files from the two directories where you saved the BDE
you swap BDE versions. Note that you will have to shut down Delphi and any
Delphi compiled DB programs before you swap BDE versions.

Wilco

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:42:40 -0000, "Petri Holopainen" <pe...@cubix.co.uk>
wrote:

>I need to use Delphi 1 applications with Delphi 4 applications using same
>database. So I have to install both BDEs and run them same time. Anyone have
>any experience of this?

The 16- and 32-bit versions of the BDE are completely different and not at
all interchangeable. Also, applications that use the BDE cannot possibly
use the wrong BDE.

Applications find the 16-bit BDE using entries in an [IDAPI] section of the
WIN.INI file. Applications find the 32-bit BDE using entries in the Windows
Registry. 16-bit applications cannot use 32-bit DLL files. 32-bit
applications *can* use 16-bit DLLs, but it is a lot of work (thunking).
This capability is not built into 32-bit Delphi and so it can be said that
its applications cannot in any practical manner use the 16-bit BDE. The
names of the DLL files that make up both BDEs different, and so there is no
chance of an application trying to load the wrong type of BDE DLL -- even
if both the 16- and 32-bit BDEs are installed in the same directory.

16- and 32-bit Delphi applications can access the same databases -- with
limitations. The 16-bit version is old and has not been updated lately to
support more recent versions of database versions. For instance, it is
incapable of supporting Visual dBASE 7, Paradox 8, Oracle 8, or DB2
databases. So while both 32-bit BDE can support later versions, your
concurrent situation limits you to the latest versions supported by the
16-bit BDE. Note that if you can find 16-bit ODBC drivers for those later
versions, you can overcome this limitation.

When dealing with databases that both the 16- and 32-bit BDE support, you
can have simultaneous access by 16- and 32-bit applications. For instance,
when dealing with Paradox tables the format for the .NET and .LCK is the
same between 16- and 32-bit BDEs, so both can access the same database in
multi-user mode. For SQL databases, the ability to do this wil depend on
the database back-end, not the BDE or Delphi.

                                                              -- Redd Foxx

Other Threads