strange symbols in tp for dos 7

Greetings.

One of my students is experiencing a problem I haven't heard of
before. She's using Turbo Pascal for DOS 7 under Windows 98. Whenever
she types symbols (like slashes, quotation marks, greater than or less
than, and braces) she gets other symbols showing up on the screen
(like an e with an accent grave) or no symbol at all. These other
symbols cause syntax errors when she tries to run her programs.

If anyone could provide any assistance it would be greatly
appreciated.

Dave
--------
Dave Switzer
Department of Computer Science
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Re:strange symbols in tp for dos 7

If she runs the program inside a window, win98 supplies/controls the
displayed font. Click on the button with an 'A' and select a different font
or hit <Alt><Enter>
to switch to text mode.

I am not sure this is going to help, but try it in any case...

In article <3b0d5253.75072...@news.uwaterloo.ca>,

default user <defa...@math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>Greetings.

>One of my students is experiencing a problem I haven't heard of
>before. She's using Turbo Pascal for DOS 7 under Windows 98. Whenever
>she types symbols (like slashes, quotation marks, greater than or less
>than, and braces) she gets other symbols showing up on the screen
>(like an e with an accent grave) or no symbol at all. These other
>symbols cause syntax errors when she tries to run her programs.

Sounds like the keyboard is different from what the computer thinks it
is. Isn't there two different keyboards used in Canada,
Check the keyboar settings.

Also you could try pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1. That should switch to the U.S.
keyboar layout.

Osmo

default user schreef:

> Greetings.

> One of my students is experiencing a problem I haven't heard of
> before. She's using Turbo Pascal for DOS 7 under Windows 98. Whenever
> she types symbols (like slashes, quotation marks, greater than or less
> than, and braces) she gets other symbols showing up on the screen
> (like an e with an accent grave) or no symbol at all. These other
> symbols cause syntax errors when she tries to run her programs.

> If anyone could provide any assistance it would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Dave
> --------
> Dave Switzer
> Department of Computer Science
> University of Waterloo
> Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Hope this helps:

Your student has probably got the wrong keyboard definition file
in her computer configuration. Since you are coming from Canada,
it is probably set as a french 'AZERTY'-keyboard
(Q=A,W=Z,Z=/, and so on).

Solution:

1. Restart the computer in DOS-mode. Type something at the prompt
or run some simple TP program. If the problem is gone now,
then it's a Windows98 problem. Goto 2. If not goto 3.

2. Go to control panel, select keyboard, set definition and
language properly. Shut windows down. Problem gone?

3. The keyboard definition is also/only set for DOS. Look in
'C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT' and 'C:\AUTOEXEC.DOS' and
'C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT' for the DOS-command 'KEYB=...'
If found type 'REM ' for it. The problem must be gone now.

If not found:
4. Type 'EXIT' on the DOS-prompt.
5. Perform a search on all BAT-files containing the word 'KEYB='.
Maybe somewhere there is a file called 'START_TP.BAT' or something,
which is invoked prior to TPX.EXE

Still not solved:
6. Left-click on the shortcut of TP and examine/edit its properties.

Last try:
7. Click Start/Execute and type in MSCONFIG. Uncheck all references
to 'KEYB=' and 'MODE CON'

If all of this doesn't work, temporary rename 'KEYB.COM' and 'MODE.COM'
(or is it '.EXE', sorry I forgot) in 'C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND' to something
different. Now an error will occur when the keyboard redefinition
is to be executed, so you can track it down.

Greetings and good luck. Huub.

Re:strange symbols in tp for dos 7

Im Artikel <3b0d5253.75072...@news.uwaterloo.ca>, defa...@math.uwaterloo.ca
(default user) schreibt:

>types symbols (like slashes, quotation marks, greater than or less
>than, and braces) she gets other symbols showing up on the screen

IMO that indicates an mismatch between the keyboard and the keyboard driver.
One might be English, the other French. She should check the settings for the
keyboard, codepage etc.

DoDi

Other Threads