How to build an app (with bde) that runs with other bde-apps

Hi,

I have build an application in D4 and BDE 5.0. I use a partial BDE
installation on my clients. To avoid problems with other applications that
use the BDE I fill my own DBIEnv structre and use the functions dbiInit /
dbiExit. This seems to work fine. After the installation of another
application that uses the BDE my app will still run. The only problem is that
I can't run both apps at the same time. I recieve an error when I start the
second application.

How can I solve this problem????

T.I.A.
Michel

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Re:How to build an app (with bde) that runs with other bde-apps

Michel,

have you tried switching to a full BDE install?  It's my understanding that
one of the costs of using a partial install is that it will only support one
app at a time, while only a full install will support simultaneous access.

Damion

Michel <mwink...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> I have build an application in D4 and BDE 5.0. I use a partial BDE
> installation on my clients.
<snip>
> The only problem is that
> I can't run both apps at the same time. I recieve an error when I start
the
> second application.

Re:How to build an app (with bde) that runs with other bde-apps

Does it help if you specify separate 'private' directories for the applications ?

Aage J.

Michel wrote:
> Hi,

> I have build an application in D4 and BDE 5.0. I use a partial BDE
> installation on my clients. To avoid problems with other applications that
> use the BDE I fill my own DBIEnv structre and use the functions dbiInit /
> dbiExit. This seems to work fine. After the installation of another
> application that uses the BDE my app will still run. The only problem is that
> I can't run both apps at the same time. I recieve an error when I start the
> second application.

> How can I solve this problem????

> T.I.A.
> Michel

Re:How to build an app (with bde) that runs with other bde-apps

Damion,

Thanks for your reply. I will try a full installation. I really wonder what
kind of difference this will make because a full installation seems to me
nothing more then the installation of all available bde-database-dll's.

Is there someone who knows the exact difference between a partial and a full
installation??

T.I.A.
Michel