Visual Basic and DirectX, Delphi and DirectX When?????

I just came across MS DirectX page and find that DirectX 7 will have some
components for Visual Basic that's official, so what about Delphi? is there
any
word about it, otherwise I'm going to have to dump Delphi and go back to
visual C++.

Re:Visual Basic and DirectX, Delphi and DirectX When?????

Well I would not use VB, I better lost my hair with C++ than using VB, but
about
C++ Builder well the spirit of Delphi (OOP) is there with out Pascal and
some
problems in compatibility with Visual C++.
Steve Bliss wrote in message <37102B9D.2...@globacon.com>...
>There is always C++ Builder, the best of both worlds.  Besides after
>using Delphi, is there realy a going back ?  For me never!  Laso VB is
>also right out - the messy horrible thing it is - when it actually runs!

> Steve Bliss

Re:Visual Basic and DirectX, Delphi and DirectX When?????

  As you already know, Delphi has full API support...  --  So of course it
can use DirectX...  --  You can find the best headers from:
http://www.delphi-jedi.org/DelphiGraphics/

Jason Wallace
SL Software
Dark...@SLSoftware.reno.nv.us
--
"We are Microsoft.  You will be assimiliated.  Resistance is Futile."

osorio vallejo wrote in message <7ep7l9$8...@forums.borland.com>...
>I just came across MS DirectX page and find that DirectX 7 will have some
>components for Visual Basic that's official, so what about Delphi? is there
>any
>word about it, otherwise I'm going to have to dump Delphi and go back to
>visual C++.

Re:Visual Basic and DirectX, Delphi and DirectX When?????

There is always C++ Builder, the best of both worlds.  Besides after
using Delphi, is there realy a going back ?  For me never!  Laso VB is
also right out - the messy horrible thing it is - when it actually runs!

                Steve Bliss

Re:Visual Basic and DirectX, Delphi and DirectX When?????

The Delphi JEDI project will probably make a conversion of the headers.
(Check out http://www.delphi-jedi.org/DelphiGraphics/ )

I doubt it will take long to convert the new headers, that will probably
be done pretty quickly. As for components, I don't know. There's always
the DelphiX components though, but it doesn't sound like you are looking
for something that's easy (didn't you say you wanted to go back to VC?)
So why not stick with Delphi and use the converted headers?

David

osorio vallejo wrote:

> I just came across MS DirectX page and find that DirectX 7 will have some
> components for Visual Basic that's official, so what about Delphi? is there
> any
> word about it, otherwise I'm going to have to dump Delphi and go back to
> visual C++.

Re:Visual Basic and DirectX, Delphi and DirectX When?????

Sure, I would like to work more to the API level.
 what I'd like to see is a standard conversion,  may be jedi is the best
choice but is not official.

David Skogvold wrote in message <37105184.71EEF...@online.no>...
>The Delphi JEDI project will probably make a conversion of the headers.
>(Check out http://www.delphi-jedi.org/DelphiGraphics/ )

>I doubt it will take long to convert the new headers, that will probably
>be done pretty quickly. As for components, I don't know. There's always
>the DelphiX components though, but it doesn't sound like you are looking
>for something that's easy (didn't you say you wanted to go back to VC?)
>So why not stick with Delphi and use the converted headers?

>David

>osorio vallejo wrote:

>> I just came across MS DirectX page and find that DirectX 7 will have some
>> components for Visual Basic that's official, so what about Delphi? is
there
>> any
>> word about it, otherwise I'm going to have to dump Delphi and go back to
>> visual C++.

Re:Visual Basic and DirectX, Delphi and DirectX When?????

Actually there is now an agreement between Borland and the JEDI group
that API's generated by the group may get the Borland seal of approval
and could possibly be added to future releases of Delphi itself.  Goto
the page and read about the agreement.  Borland has released their
official 'Pascal Header Translation Specification' and made it available
to all interested to make any translation 'official'.  If DirectX is
important to you it might also be worthwhile to join the DirectX group
even if it's as a tester of any potential DirectX conversion.

Jeff Overcash

osorio vallejo wrote:
> Sure, I would like to work more to the API level.
>  what I'd like to see is a standard conversion,  may be jedi is the best
> choice but is not official.

AS Jeff mentioned Borland has is officially supporting the JEDI initiative and I
believe Eric Unger ( the person
who did the current DirectX conversion ) is trying to get the DirectX Headers
converted over to the Borland
specifications. It should just be a matter of time before Borland include them
in either Delphi 5/2000 or a slightly
later update. I would suggest using the headers so that you at least become
familiar with how it all hangs together
under Delphi. Check my web page for links of people who are developing
commercial quality games with
Delphi using either the DirectX converted headers or DelphiX. The URL is
http://www.SavageSoftware.com.au/delphi and got to the links section.
Please Note that the website is under heavy construction and IE4 and 5 can't
handle the Javascript but it works fine with Netscape ( hopefully I'll have some
time to make it cross-browser compatible ) . A Direct link to my links page (
which does not need Javascript ) is
http://www.SavageSoftware.com.au/delphi/links.html

--
Ciao

Dominique Louis
Delphi Developer and aspiring Delphi Game Developer when wife and son permit.
** Punching the Monitor Hurts You more than Microsoft **