Do Paradox tables needs the BDE?

If I create a database Application with only Paradox tables,
will I need to distribute BDE?

If so, is there any database type that don't need the BDE?

Thanks in advance....

Eric Demers
edem...@{*word*104}abitibi.qc.ca

Re:Do Paradox tables needs the BDE?

In article <319B3899.3...@{*word*104}abitibi.qc.ca> Eric Demers <edem...@{*word*104}abitibi.qc.ca> writes:
>If I create a database Application with only Paradox tables,
>will I need to distribute BDE?

Yes, you will.

>If so, is there any database type that don't need the BDE?

There do exist plug-compatible or semi-plug-compatible database engines, such
as Apollo, which support other (simpler) table formats with less than BDE's
code requirement.  There also exist installers that, by selective
installation, can reduce the size of a database distributable disk-set.

/mr/

Eric Demers wrote:

> If I create a database Application with only Paradox tables,
> will I need to distribute BDE?

> If so, is there any database type that don't need the BDE?

> Thanks in advance....

> Eric Demers
> edem...@{*word*104}abitibi.qc.ca

Yes you will need the BDE unless the user already has it
in their machine.

There are some third party database engines that are smaller
than the BDE that will work.
--
Eugene Ruben Ramirez
email: rrami...@ix.netcom.com

sund...@primenet.com (Sundial Services) wrote:
>In article <319B3899.3...@{*word*104}abitibi.qc.ca> Eric Demers <edem...@{*word*104}abitibi.qc.ca> writes:
>>If so, is there any database type that don't need the BDE?
>There do exist plug-compatible or semi-plug-compatible database engines, such
>as Apollo, which support other (simpler) table formats with less than BDE's
>code requirement.  There also exist installers that, by selective
>installation, can reduce the size of a database distributable disk-set.

Where can I get such a smaller database engine ?
Can I use all database components of Delphi when I use this ?
Do I have to pay for such an engine or are there also free ones ?

thanks in advance...

bye...
Alexander

                                  ( o o )
 -----------------------------OOO--` - '---OOO-
|  Alexander Lucke,                            |
|  Email: <a...@next2.psychologie.hu-berlin.de>  |
|  WWW: <http://141.20.111.4/al/>              |
|                                              |
|     pgp key available by request or www      |

Eric Demers <edem...@{*word*104}abitibi.qc.ca> wrote:
>If I create a database Application with only Paradox tables,
>will I need to distribute BDE?

>If so, is there any database type that don't need the BDE?

>Thanks in advance....

Eric,

If you are using the database locally and therefore don't mind
breaching the redistribution licence, you can get away with just
distributing 5 files for Paradox databases:

        IDQRY01.DLL
        IDAPI01.DLL
        IDPDX01.DLL
        IDR10009.DLL
        ILD01.DLL

These will compress down to about 500kb and should be kept in the same
directory as your exe. I've used this for quite a while now and have
had no problems at all whether the app is being run on a new machine
or on one with BDE already fully installed.

I use a Database component to set a local alias and dont use BDE
configuration at all. However, read the redistribution file to ensure
you're happy with the licencing agreement if you're not using it
locally.

Regards

Neil Charlton
ncha...@cityscape.co.uk