Board index » delphi » Win95 net to NT net

Win95 net to NT net

I am developing and installing a D3 app on a P-to-P
Win95 net [1 Win95 acting like a server and 4-5
client Win95s] using Pdx tables.  There is one
shared database (of many tables) on the "server"
and each client has a private database (of many
tables) on its local c: drive.

The client is part of International Co. and the
Co has directed all to convert to NT.  [They have
their own systems people who will convert all
of the computers, but of course, they know
nothing about the ap I'm writing nor about
Delphi nor about PDX].  

1) Does any of my installed D3 code or BDE or
anything have to be changed?

2) Should I also convert to NT Workstation to
be sure the remainder of the project is compatible?

3) What is the difference between NT Workstation
and NT Server?  My programming books just refer to NT
without distinguishing between Server & Workstation.

4) I have D4 and was planning to convert after a few
months when I see the messages indicating it is o.k.
Should I accelerate (or retard) my plans because of
my client's conversion to NT.

Thanx.
--tex

 

Re:Win95 net to NT net


tex,

1) There is very little difference between Server and Workstation NT except
that a Server generally has a lot more services running. I have heard that
the difference is configuration of two in terms of resources and priority
but not functionality.

2) I'm in the process of moving an app from Win95 to NT Server and have
found some problems with InfoPower but everthing else seems to play will.

HM

James R Fielland <Tampa...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<01bdc705$be72cb40$7275d6ce@texs486>...

Quote
> I am developing and installing a D3 app on a P-to-P

> 1) Does any of my installed D3 code or BDE or
> anything have to be changed?

> 2) Should I also convert to NT Workstation to
> be sure the remainder of the project is compatible?
> Thanx.
> --tex

Re:Win95 net to NT net


1. No.
2. Your choice. I have never had a problem devoping on Win95 and deploying
on NT not have I heard of any.  You will find NT workstation a bit slower
but much more stable.
3. NT Workstation and NT server are actually the same code base.  The main
differences are in the security and resource sharing areas.  NT Server is
designed to run a file server on a large network.
4. The only advantage that D4 has regarding NT is that you can write NT
services in D4.

--
Bill Todd
(Sorry but TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)
(Remove nospam from my email address to contact me for any other reason)

Re:Win95 net to NT net


Quote
>1) Does any of my installed D3 code or BDE or
>anything have to be changed?

You should be able to use it as is.
There have been some problems reported by some users of NT servers
You might want to look at
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list/TI3342.html

Quote
>2) Should I also convert to NT Workstation to
>be sure the remainder of the project is compatible?

You should not have to but if this is your major client I probably would.
As a developer you often get stuck trying to figure out problems that are
actualy the fault of the operating system.

Quote

>4) I have D4 and was planning to convert after a few
>months when I see the messages indicating it is o.k.
>Should I accelerate (or retard) my plans because of
>my client's conversion to NT.

I do not know of any reason to change your plans just for NT

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:Win95 net to NT net


Win NT and Win95/98 are NOT the same.

I have a suite of Apps that MUST be able to run in both.

I used to develop in Win 95 but found it better to develop in NT because it
is the more restrictive environment esp re security.

However, they are NOT the same and routines that work in Win 95 fail in NT
and visa-versa.

For example, I just today alterred my code to fix a problem which occurs in
Win 95 but not in NT: CreateProcess() works differently in Win 95 and Win
NT: if you use CreateProcess(Path, Path+Params,...) this works fine in NT
but in Win 95 the params are ignored - I changed this to CreateProcess(nil,
Path+Params,...) and it now works fine in NT and Win 95.

So: my recommendation is if your App needs to run in NT then use NT to
develop.

Paul Motyer
SoftStuff
PO Box 637, Croydon, VIC, Australia, 3136

Quote
Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote in message <6r02n6$9...@forums.borland.com>...
>1. No.
>2. Your choice. I have never had a problem devoping on Win95 and deploying
>on NT not have I heard of any.  You will find NT workstation a bit slower
>but much more stable.
>3. NT Workstation and NT server are actually the same code base.  The main
>differences are in the security and resource sharing areas.  NT Server is
>designed to run a file server on a large network.
>4. The only advantage that D4 has regarding NT is that you can write NT
>services in D4.

>--
>Bill Todd
>(Sorry but TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)
>(Remove nospam from my email address to contact me for any other reason)

Re:Win95 net to NT net


Good point.  I have not found anything in Delphi or the VCL that behaves
differently but if you are making API calls you need to be careful.

--
Bill Todd
(Sorry but TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)
(Remove nospam from my email address to contact me for any other reason)

Other Threads