Dcom and NT-server

We have installed a DCOM-server (produced with Delphi 4) on a
NT-workstation in our network. We can connect to the server form every
95/98 workstation in our lan. We are palnning to use this server as a
server for the internet, but we cann't get contact with from our
NTserver 4.0 (service pack 4) even if we are logged in as
admininistrator. We get the error message "interface not supported". It
really does launch the server-application on the DCOM server, but it
does not give us the good interface.
Can anyone help us?

Re:Dcom and NT-server

Try...
http://tips.kbcafe.com/tips/kb.cgi?tips=626

In article <3701E80C.D60E2...@vanbeek.com>,
  Cees van Beek <cees.van.b...@vanbeek.com> wrote:

> We have installed a DCOM-server (produced with Delphi 4) on a
> NT-workstation in our network. We can connect to the server form every
> 95/98 workstation in our lan. We are palnning to use this server as a
> server for the internet, but we cann't get contact with from our
> NTserver 4.0 (service pack 4) even if we are logged in as
> admininistrator. We get the error message "interface not supported". It
> really does launch the server-application on the DCOM server, but it
> does not give us the good interface.
> Can anyone help us?

////////////////////////////////////////
// He went out of his way to be good. //
////////////////////////////////////////

Re:Dcom and NT-server

What happens if you add SYSTEM into both Default Access Permissions and
Default Launch Permissions under the Default Security tab in DCOMCNFG?

Also, you might want to browse MSDN online for a white-paper on DCOM over
the internet/firewall. I read it a while back and I think it was written by
Mike Nelson.

have fun
--
Binh Ly
Brickhouse Data Systems, Inc

Cees van Beek wrote in message <3701E80C.D60E2...@vanbeek.com>...
>We have installed a DCOM-server (produced with Delphi 4) on a
>NT-workstation in our network. We can connect to the server form every
>95/98 workstation in our lan. We are palnning to use this server as a
>server for the internet, but we cann't get contact with from our
>NTserver 4.0 (service pack 4) even if we are logged in as
>admininistrator. We get the error message "interface not supported". It
>really does launch the server-application on the DCOM server, but it
>does not give us the good interface.
>Can anyone help us?

Re:Dcom and NT-server

Cees van Beek wrote:
> We have installed a DCOM-server (produced with Delphi 4) on a
> NT-workstation in our network. We can connect to the server form every
> 95/98 workstation in our lan. We are palnning to use this server as a
> server for the internet, but we cann't get contact with from our
> NTserver 4.0 (service pack 4) even if we are logged in as
> admininistrator. We get the error message "interface not supported". It
> really does launch the server-application on the DCOM server, but it
> does not give us the good interface.
> Can anyone help us?

Finally we get it to work with the following actions:
1.    importing and registering of the type-library at the NTserver :
didn't work
2.    we installed the COM-server on the NTserver, run it once
3.    we uninstalled the comserver (but leaved the registry stuff
untouched)
4.    and there was the good connection
Conclusion: first install and run the COM-server-application on the client
(than all the registry entries are set well) and then remove the COM-server
application.
This information is worth to be shared in the snake-deep of DCOM and
NT-security.

Re:Dcom and NT-server

Cees,

a better solution to get things working without the "install server on client",
"remove server from client" is to use
a registry setting. Try using a registry entry where you define the name of the
DCOM server (NT Machine). In the onCreate of the
Client app,  read the registry setting, and make sure you're
"RemoteConnection".ComputerName get's the name of
the server. When the registry entry is left blank, try to fire the server
local, otherwise, try to fire the server remote. (works great for me).

Let the DCOM magic do the work...lol

Marco Buitenkamp

Cees van Beek wrote:
> Cees van Beek wrote:

> > We have installed a DCOM-server (produced with Delphi 4) on a
> > NT-workstation in our network. We can connect to the server form every
> > 95/98 workstation in our lan. We are palnning to use this server as a
> > server for the internet, but we cann't get contact with from our
> > NTserver 4.0 (service pack 4) even if we are logged in as
> > admininistrator. We get the error message "interface not supported". It
> > really does launch the server-application on the DCOM server, but it
> > does not give us the good interface.
> > Can anyone help us?

> Finally we get it to work with the following actions:
> 1.    importing and registering of the type-library at the NTserver :
> didn't work
> 2.    we installed the COM-server on the NTserver, run it once
> 3.    we uninstalled the comserver (but leaved the registry stuff
> untouched)
> 4.    and there was the good connection
> Conclusion: first install and run the COM-server-application on the client
> (than all the registry entries are set well) and then remove the COM-server
> application.
> This information is worth to be shared in the snake-deep of DCOM and
> NT-security.

Re:Dcom and NT-server

Cees van Beek wrote:
> Conclusion: first install and run the COM-server-application on the client
> (than all the registry entries are set well) and then remove the
COM-server
> application.

Looks like there's a good reason for such behaviour.

Just read in Calvert's D4 Unleashed:

"You must have the server registered on both the client and the server
machine. The client program could still locate and launch the server if you
failed to register it, but COM could not marshal data back and forth if the
type library for the server is not registered on the client machine. You can
do so by running the server once on both machines, or just run it once on
the server and then register the TLB file on the client using TRegSvr.exe."

| Primoz Gabrijelcic, primoz.gabrijel...@altavista.net
| Try GpProfile, free profiler for Delphi!
| http://www.eccentrica.org/gabr/gpprofile/gpprofile.htm
| http://members.xoom.com/primozg/gpprofile/gpprofile.htm

Other Threads