Board index » delphi » Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports

Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports

I have used Quick Reports for basic reports and in some scenarios used
Crystal Reports.  I found CR's IDE screen for creating the reports, database
connectivity and overall ease of use to be questionable (the last version of
the VCL I used was 5.7).

In D7 you get a few Rave components which I assume is for launching Rave
reports.  I read some of the help on some of the primary components  but
found no reference to the page bands or how to compose the report at design
time.  So I assume that is an external part.

1) Do you need to buy a Rave Reports designer to create the report files
like CR or Report Builder?

2) Do you *need* to run the Rave Report Server to use it?

Someone posted that there was a demo with the Rave update on Borland's site.
I looked a bit but could not find it.

So I am interested in finding out the stark differences between QR and CR as
well as a direction as too how to create the report layouts.

Thanks,

--
Reid Roman
Future Generation Software
http://www.fgsoft.com
re...@fgsoft.com

 

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


Duh,

I just found the designer in the D7 IDE menu..

--
Reid Roman
Future Generation Software
http://www.fgsoft.com
re...@fgsoft.com

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


I still would like to ask if anyone has any links to demos.  The interface
seems nice but it's logic seems a bit convoluted.  I could not figure out ho
to display a data field on a report page.

--
Reid Roman
Future Generation Software
http://www.fgsoft.com
re...@fgsoft.com

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


I still use QuickReport in Delphi 7

QuickReport Power!

You can find the bpl of QuickReport in C:\Program
Files\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\dclqrt70.bpl
This is an old but working version 3.0.9

I Love QuickReport, there some limitation, but it's 100% native VCL so you
can do everything you want!

"Reid Roman" <re...@fgsoft.com> a crit dans le message de news:
3e75ffc...@newsgroups.borland.com...

Quote
> I have used Quick Reports for basic reports and in some scenarios used
> Crystal Reports.  I found CR's IDE screen for creating the reports,
database
> connectivity and overall ease of use to be questionable (the last version
of
> the VCL I used was 5.7).

> In D7 you get a few Rave components which I assume is for launching Rave
> reports.  I read some of the help on some of the primary components  but
> found no reference to the page bands or how to compose the report at
design
> time.  So I assume that is an external part.

> 1) Do you need to buy a Rave Reports designer to create the report files
> like CR or Report Builder?

> 2) Do you *need* to run the Rave Report Server to use it?

> Someone posted that there was a demo with the Rave update on Borland's
site.
> I looked a bit but could not find it.

> So I am interested in finding out the stark differences between QR and CR
as
> well as a direction as too how to create the report layouts.

> Thanks,

> --
> Reid Roman
> Future Generation Software
> http://www.fgsoft.com
> re...@fgsoft.com

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


I have been reading up on the designer in the acrobat help files and getting
familiar with it.  I have designed a simple report and when I hit F9 to
preview it, all I see is the text or title control.  None of the DataText
controls are present.

The Database component is defined correctly and the associated and defined
DataDriverView for that database.  I can see the tables to define the view
and pick the field list.  I see the datatext fields on a band in a region
but no data previews.

The documentation (*.pdf)  mentions a "Data Text" editor to combine fields
or define report parameters, and says that it is accessible by clicking an
ellipse in the "Datafield" property.  My Datafield property has only a drop
down to select the field and not an embedded editor or ellipse.

Can someone offer some assistance?

Thanks

--
Reid Roman
Future Generation Software
http://www.fgsoft.com
re...@fgsoft.com

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


An answer to your question:

http://www.fast-report.com

For me it's strange that they've put Rave Report with all it's flaws into
Delphi, when there are so many other reporting tools that are better. Fast
Report is my best choice, because of all utilities, source etc. and still a
very nice price. Also all upgrades are free..

-Atle

Quote
"Reid Roman" <re...@fgsoft.com> wrote in message

news:3e7628a9$2@newsgroups.borland.com...
Quote
> I have been reading up on the designer in the acrobat help files and
getting
> familiar with it.  I have designed a simple report and when I hit F9 to
> preview it, all I see is the text or title control.  None of the DataText
> controls are present.

> The Database component is defined correctly and the associated and defined
> DataDriverView for that database.  I can see the tables to define the view
> and pick the field list.  I see the datatext fields on a band in a region
> but no data previews.

> The documentation (*.pdf)  mentions a "Data Text" editor to combine fields
> or define report parameters, and says that it is accessible by clicking an
> ellipse in the "Datafield" property.  My Datafield property has only a
drop
> down to select the field and not an embedded editor or ellipse.

> Can someone offer some assistance?

> Thanks

> --
> Reid Roman
> Future Generation Software
> http://www.fgsoft.com
> re...@fgsoft.com

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


reid,

you can doubleclick on the RvProject-component, this will start the
rave-ide.

;-) thomas

"Reid Roman" <re...@fgsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3e7601b5$1@newsgroups.borland.com...

Quote
> Duh,

> I just found the designer in the D7 IDE menu..

> --
> Reid Roman
> Future Generation Software
> http://www.fgsoft.com
> re...@fgsoft.com

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


Reid,

Quote
> 1) Do you need to buy a Rave Reports designer to create the report files
> like CR or Report Builder?

no, the rave-ide is in delphi 7 pro or higher

Quote
> 2) Do you *need* to run the Rave Report Server to use it?

no

Quote
> Someone posted that there was a demo with the Rave update on Borland's
site.
> I looked a bit but could not find it.

Rave updates are available for Delphi 7

http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,29792,00.html

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


Reid,

create a new app, insert the rave-components RvProject, RvDataSetConnection1
and a ttable with bde-connection DBDEMOS (set the dataset in the RvDSC1)
with doubleclick on the RvProject the rave-ide starts.
click on the "view"-icon an choose direct data view and connect with the
RvDSC1.
insert on page1 a region (register report) and the size should complete in
the "red-area".
insert in the region a databand (register report), set the property dataview
and with drag from the
right side - dataview - datafield one or two datafields with ctrl-key on the
databand1.
with f9 you see the preview.
after this you can play with bands , datamirrorsections, and so on.

:-) thomas

"Reid Roman" <re...@fgsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3e760665$1@newsgroups.borland.com...

Quote
> I still would like to ask if anyone has any links to demos.  The interface
> seems nice but it's logic seems a bit convoluted.  I could not figure out
ho
> to display a data field on a report page.

> --
> Reid Roman
> Future Generation Software
> http://www.fgsoft.com
> re...@fgsoft.com

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


Quote
Atle Smelvfr wrote:
> An answer to your question:

I don't see where this answers his question at all.  Please keep to the topic of the thread.

Jim Gunkel
Nevrona Designs

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


Quote
Reid Roman wrote:
> I have been reading up on the designer in the acrobat help files and getting
> familiar with it.  I have designed a simple report and when I hit F9 to
> preview it, all I see is the text or title control.  None of the DataText
> controls are present.

> The Database component is defined correctly and the associated and defined
> DataDriverView for that database.  I can see the tables to define the view
> and pick the field list.  I see the datatext fields on a band in a region
> but no data previews.

> The documentation (*.pdf)  mentions a "Data Text" editor to combine fields
> or define report parameters, and says that it is accessible by clicking an
> ellipse in the "Datafield" property.  My Datafield property has only a drop
> down to select the field and not an embedded editor or ellipse.

> Can someone offer some assistance?

Have you applied the Rave update available from Borland's registered user site?

I have never heard of the ellipses button not showing up but the update fixes
several other issues.  You should not need to use the Data Text Editor to get
data to display.  Make sure you are using a DataBand instead of a Band within
the region component and make sure to set the DataBand.DataView property
to the dataview that you want the report to iterate over.

Thanks,

Jim Gunkel
Nevrona Designs

Re:Rave Reports -vs- Quick Reports


I now have it working, the piece that was lacking was setting the DataView
property of the Bands.
I also have the link to get the update.

Thanks Everyone,

--
Reid Roman
Future Generation Software
http://www.fgsoft.com
re...@fgsoft.com

Other Threads