Board index » delphi » Paradox file paradox

Paradox file paradox

I had 2 copies of the same file structure.  Same name in 2
different directories.  One had one record and the other 10
records.  I wanted to add a boolean to both.  Started with
the one with one record.  Set a default value of true.  Life
was good.  Tried to do the same with the second file but it
refused to take the default value.  Said I had already hit
limit of validations allowed.  Being a good person I did not
get upset.  I closed down Delphi and desktop and tried
again.  Got the same message.  Fixed the file using Paradox.
Tried again and got the same message.  Upgraded the file to
Paradox 7 version from Paradox 5.  Tried to add the
validation again.  Same message.  Isn't life fascinating?
Can't think of what I would do without problems like this.
Any ideas?
 

Re:Paradox file paradox


Quote
Art Begun" <beg...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:3b19bcef_2@dnews...
> I had 2 copies of the same file structure.  Same name in 2
> different directories.  One had one record and the other 10
> records.  I wanted to add a boolean to both.  Started with
> the one with one record.  Set a default value of true.  Life
> was good.  Tried to do the same with the second file but it
> refused to take the default value.  Said I had already hit
> limit of validations allowed.  Being a good person I did not
> get upset.  I closed down Delphi and desktop and tried
> again.  Got the same message.  Fixed the file using Paradox.
> Tried again and got the same message.  Upgraded the file to
> Paradox 7 version from Paradox 5.  Tried to add the
> validation again.  Same message.  Isn't life fascinating?

Could you have reached the validity check count - how many fields are in the
table?

And how do you know guarantee they are the same table structure? Have you
got an external program to do a compare or are you just guessing by looking?
I wrote a table compare and upgrade program for my clients, where I run the
check on my template databases and compare to the client data files, and it
flags any errors.

The easiest way to fix the problem is to delete the .VAL file that goes with
the table and then restructure and put the validity checks back in - but
this still does not mean the two table will be identical, because you may
miss something. You need to be 100% positive they are the same before trying
to fix anything.

Regards
Darren Lyon
BusinessSuite Australia

Re:Paradox file paradox


On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:51:59 +0800, "Darren Lyon"

Quote
<hardt...@newton.dialix.com.au> wrote:
>The easiest way to fix the problem is to delete the .VAL file that goes with
>the table and then restructure and put the validity checks back in

Or:

Open table for restructuring with Database Desktop, remove the
validity check, set the default, reenable validity check?

Manuel Algora
m...@encomix.es

Re:Paradox file paradox


There is a limit of 64 validity checks on a Paradox table and you have
reached it. You can test this by removing another validity check and then
trying to add your new one.

--
Bill

Re:Paradox file paradox


Both versions of the table have 57 fields and the first
field has no validity checks.  Clearly something is messed
up in the second table.  Both have a master password, no
other passwords, no secondary indexes, no dependent tables,
and no referential integrity.  No other validity checks are
set except default value of true for each of the 56  logical
fields.  Each have a single field key.  THe only difference
is one has 1 record and the other 10 records.  I guess I
should try deleting the val file and resetting the
validation rules for the bad table.

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <billtodd...@nospam.qwest.net> wrote in
message news:3b1a453f$1_1@dnews...

Quote
> There is a limit of 64 validity checks on a Paradox table
and you have
> reached it. You can test this by removing another validity
check and then
> trying to add your new one.

> --
> Bill

Re:Paradox file paradox


That would be my suggestion.

--
Bill

Re:Paradox file paradox


The structure is so simple that it is easy to verify.  See
my reply to Bill Todd.  There are just a bunch of default
"True"'s for the Logical fields.  I will delete the val file
and restructure.  Still its wierd.

"Darren Lyon" <hardt...@newton.dialix.com.au> wrote in
message news:3b19d05f_1@dnews...

Quote
> Art Begun" <beg...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

news:3b19bcef_2@dnews...
Quote
> > I had 2 copies of the same file structure.  Same name in
2
> > different directories.  One had one record and the other
10
> > records.  I wanted to add a boolean to both.  Started
with
> > the one with one record.  Set a default value of true.
Life
> > was good.  Tried to do the same with the second file but
it
> > refused to take the default value.  Said I had already
hit
> > limit of validations allowed.  Being a good person I did
not
> > get upset.  I closed down Delphi and desktop and tried
> > again.  Got the same message.  Fixed the file using
Paradox.
> > Tried again and got the same message.  Upgraded the file
to
> > Paradox 7 version from Paradox 5.  Tried to add the
> > validation again.  Same message.  Isn't life
fascinating?

> Could you have reached the validity check count - how many
fields are in the
> table?

> And how do you know guarantee they are the same table
structure? Have you
> got an external program to do a compare or are you just

guessing by looking?
Quote
> I wrote a table compare and upgrade program for my

clients, where I run the

- Show quoted text -

Quote
> check on my template databases and compare to the client
data files, and it
> flags any errors.

> The easiest way to fix the problem is to delete the .VAL
file that goes with
> the table and then restructure and put the validity checks
back in - but
> this still does not mean the two table will be identical,
because you may
> miss something. You need to be 100% positive they are the
same before trying
> to fix anything.

> Regards
> Darren Lyon
> BusinessSuite Australia

Other Threads