Delphi with Cobol

Hi people...

I use a cobol system at work. But my boss asked me to develop an application
using Delphi that read the cobol database.
How can I read a cobol database? Can a delphi application read a cobol
database?
And I don't know what is the database that cobol uses.

Renato Morais

---

Re:Delphi with Cobol

It sounds like you've got some research to do.  Certainly the job can be
done and perhaps you should see if there's an existing tool (e.g. is
Data Junction still around?) that can accomplish the fundamental purpose
without requiring you to write Yet Another Program to do it.  The
questions you have posed are ones that must be answered but we couldn't
be the ones to do it for you.  After all, there are many implementations
of COBOL, and many different database/filing strategies that a COBOL
program could be expected to use.

(Incidentally, yes I know COBOL.  So do lots of other people here.  But
that's not the issue.)

>Renato Morais wrote:

> Hi people...

> I use a cobol system at work. But my boss asked me to develop an application
> using Delphi that read the cobol database.
> How can I read a cobol database? Can a delphi application read a cobol
> database?
> And I don't know what is the database that cobol uses.

> Renato Morais

> ChimneySweep(R):  Release 4.0 is here!!

Re:Delphi with Cobol

  Well, the first thign you'll need to find out is what database your COBOL
app is using.  Without that info, there's no way we can help you connect a
Delphi app to it.

-Howard

Re:Delphi with Cobol

You should check whether your Cobol vendor has an ODBC driver, or ask for
solutions in news:comp.lang.cobol. Cobol programs traditionally have fairly
low-level access to the data files, so an ODBC driver is not trivial, but
you can see from http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cobol+odbc that it's a
popular request.

  Richard

"Renato Morais" <renatomor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I use a cobol system at work. But my boss asked me to develop an
application
> using Delphi that read the cobol database.
> How can I read a cobol database? Can a delphi application read a cobol
> database?
> And I don't know what is the database that cobol uses.

Re:Delphi with Cobol

There are three basic kinds of "database-like" files that a COBOL
program might encounter:
        ->  A COBOL sequential file.
        ->  A COBOL indexed sequential file (ISAM/VSAM/KSAM).
        ->  An IDMS or other archaic, non-relational database.
        ->  A relational (SQL) database.

Renato needs to do additional research to more precisely define the
problem, by studying the COBOL code and/or configuration.

Also...  tools such as Data Junction (on the PC), or SAS/SPSS or
EZTrieve (on the mainframe) might well be able to extract the data
needed, and reformat it into a more useful form.  In other words, Renato
should look carefully at the =whole problem= before fixing upon any
particular solution for all =or part= of it... and that includes using
Delphi.

>Richard Biffl wrote:

> You should check whether your Cobol vendor has an ODBC driver, or ask for
> solutions in news:comp.lang.cobol. Cobol programs traditionally have fairly
> low-level access to the data files, so an ODBC driver is not trivial, but
> you can see from http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cobol+odbc that it's a
> popular request.

>   Richard

> "Renato Morais" <renatomor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I use a cobol system at work. But my boss asked me to develop an
> application
> > using Delphi that read the cobol database.
> > How can I read a cobol database? Can a delphi application read a cobol
> > database?
> > And I don't know what is the database that cobol uses.

> ChimneySweep(R):  Release 4.0 is here!!

Re:Delphi with Cobol

As Howard said, there is nothing we can do to help you until we know what
database the COBOL program uses. If it is not a database but a flat file
system you can read and write it directly in Delphi. The only problem will
be dealing with numbers that are not stored in display format. For comp
numbers you will have to write your own conversion routines.

--
Bill

Re:Delphi with Cobol

But I know that I can access all Cobol Database using ODBC...
Set the Directory and  only this.
But I can't find the acuodbc32 in the Internet...
Can't You Help me??

Renato

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <bill_nos...@dbginc.com> escreveu na mensagem

> As Howard said, there is nothing we can do to help you until we know what
> database the COBOL program uses. If it is not a database but a flat file
> system you can read and write it directly in Delphi. The only problem will
> be dealing with numbers that are not stored in display format. For comp
> numbers you will have to write your own conversion routines.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

---

Re:Delphi with Cobol

No. You will need to contact the company that supplied the database to see
if they can supply an ODBC driver. It is very likely that you will not find
a free one.

--
Bill