Re: Asus Eee - Why we URGENTLY need a x-platform Delphi

2007-12-10 05:21:30 PM
delphi27
I.P. Nichols writes:
"Mat Ballard" writes:
>I.P. Nichols writes:
>
>>Asus is a me too and the One Laptop Per Child project far ahead in
>>the race.
>
>Now don't be snooty !

Not being snooty, just pointing out that my dad can whip your dad!

>Asus, OTOH, took a good long hard look at the OLPC and decided that
>there was no way they would make money out of it. But if they specced
>it up a bit, used off-the-shelf components where possible, stuck a
>nice GUI on top of a solid OS, then ...

Is this what you mean by "a nice GUI on top of a solid OS"? <RBG>

eeepc.asus.com/global/news10192007.htm
ASUS confirmed they will offer the highly anticipated Eee PC
pre-installed with Genuine Microsoft Windows by end of this year. The
ASUS Eee PC defines a new category of computing device that offers an
excellent Internet experience on-the-go for work, learn and play. With
the addition of Microsoft Windows, the Eee PC can now also accommodate
educational and corporate requirements.
I do not understand the last sentence, especially in respect to
educational requirements. At least one of the Linux distributions
(Ubuntu) have versions tailored for educational purposes, including
OpenOffice, which is very nice.
Tom

Tom Backer Johnsen writes:

I do not understand the last sentence, especially in respect to
educational requirements. At least one of the Linux distributions
(Ubuntu) have versions tailored for educational purposes, including
OpenOffice, which is very nice.

It was a quote from MSFT, and you know how far you can trust those guys.
OLPC made them freakin' nervous, because it would mean that a lot of Linux system would be handed to
future not-anymore customers of their OS.
Also having an increased share of Linux would help making arguments why you want to port your software
to Linux.
I hope OLPC will *not* throw the towel and go Windows, it is one of soo few chances to cut into MSFT's
pseudo-monopoly. In this case, teaching Children how to operate PCs w/o any MSFT software.

Re: Asus Eee - Why we URGENTLY need a x-platform Delphi

Mat Ballard writes:
So with Asus planning to make about 3.4 million next year, how are we
going to make apps for it ?

Free Pascal ???
You could use Free Pascal, but I'd make another suggestion, and if
you know C#, it is not a stretch to use this one at all. It is called
"Java".
You like the small ASUS, what happens when you start wanting to use the
Google Phone platform and OS? You will need to use Java or C/C++. Want a
Linux phone or PDA? Java works here, works with Symbian, etc.
With Java being open source, it is going to be even more popular than it
has been and is currently. There is just not better way I know of, to
have truly XPlatform applications.
Do not get me wrong, I see situations where Free Pascal could be
preferred as would be true with C/C++. I think the guys working on Free
Pascal are doing a super job. But application delivery wise and support
wise, you are going to find Java a generally more attractive option.

"Robert Giesecke" writes:
Tom Backer Johnsen writes:

>I do not understand the last sentence, especially in respect to
>educational requirements. At least one of the Linux distributions
>(Ubuntu) have versions tailored for educational purposes, including
>OpenOffice, which is very nice.

It was a quote from MSFT, and you know how far you can trust those guys.
No! That whole paragraph I posted is from a Acus News Release. This second
paragraph from the same News Release quotes a Microsoft VP.
eeepc.asus.com/global/news10192007.htm
"ASUS continues to pioneer breakthrough designs and capabilities in
notebooks," said Scott Di Valerio, corporate vice president, OEM division at
Microsoft. "With the new Eee PC they have done it again, and we are e{*word*277}d
to work with ASUS to enable a Windows based software and services solution
for this new category of mobile PCs."
I hope OLPC will *not* throw the towel and go Windows, it is one of soo
few chances to cut into MSFT's pseudo-monopoly. In this case, teaching
Children how to operate PCs w/o any MSFT software.
Not gonna happen the way you want. Since Microsoft enjoys about 90-95% of
the desktop market it is likely that some countries will want Microsoft OS on
their OLPC computer on the basis that they will want their kids to be
proficient with the market leader OS. Recently Nigeria announced that 80,000
computers ordered from a French company with Linux OS installed will be
switched to MS OS after they are delivered.
www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/dec07/12-05FlashBasedDevices.mspx
www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2007/mar07/03-16transformingeducation.mspx

Re: Asus Eee - Why we URGENTLY need a x-platform Delphi

"Mat Ballard"
Free Pascal ???
Delphi + WINE ???

Re: Asus Eee - Why we URGENTLY need a x-platform Delphi

NetBeans :-)

As matter of fact I am looking again for Java GUI applications with NB 6 +
new binding framework.
Regards.

Re: Asus Eee - Why we URGENTLY need a x-platform Delphi

"Mat Ballard"
>Free Pascal ???

Delphi + WINE ???

As I was stated before, I have succesfully running Delphi 7 and 2006
applications in Wine with no problems. And I am talking about TOAD and very
sophisticated database own applications.
ASUS should include it on its computers and there is no need of Windows at
all.
But since they will ship its computers with XP...

Re: Asus Eee - Why we URGENTLY need a x-platform Delphi

I bought an Asus Eee for my wife to use as a highly portable PC. I won't
go into
why it is such a great little appliance, but rest assured it is here to stay.

I saw it and looks very nice and if they where at $200 - $250 price range
I would buy 3, one for each of my older child and one for my wife.
But I found it at $400.00
At such price tag I think is much better to but a Dell even Acer entry
level notebook.
Regards.
So with Asus planning to make about 3.4 million next year, how are we
going to
make apps for it ?
Free Pascal ???
Could be but what about Delphi + Wine?
Java also?
Free Pascal is nice but still has a very long way to go...
Regards.

Bernhard Geyer writes:
>So with Asus planning to make about 3.4 million next year, how are
>we going to make apps for it ?
>
>Free Pascal ???

Yes. I don't want to see Codegear to bring us a new Kylix or
C#-Builder desaster again. I want to use Delphi in the future to
bring first class Windows Apps. I will need Full-Unicode, Win64 and
.NET>2.0 in the future. For Linux/MacOS is will use
.NET(VS.NET/C#-Develop) or Java (Netbeans, ...). If Codegear will
once again stop enhance Windows-Support we will move away from
Codegear.
Roadmap is fairly clear that we're focusing on the improvements you are
looking for.
dn.codegear.com/article/36620
I worked on all three Kylix projects as a test engineer. It was
enjoyable working with Linux, and we broke new ground for development
tools on Linux. However we benefit in quality by staying focused.
Unicode and Win64 are on the map since they are top items reported in
surveys and in QualityCentral, and allows us to be more international
friendly. 2007 was a good year for quality catch-up, though I still
feel we're just warming up.
--
Chris Pattinson
CodeGear QA Manager, Delphi/C++ Developer Studio

ssamayoa writes:

As I was stated before, I have succesfully running Delphi 7 and 2006
applications in Wine with no problems. And I am talking about TOAD and very
sophisticated database own applications.

ASUS should include it on its computers and there is no need of Windows at
all.

But since they will ship its computers with XP...

I agree, All my Delphi 2007 created apps work fine on wine as well.
Only problem I had was with DevExpress stuff as they require the
presence of gdiplus.dll on WINE.
Later,
Tony

Re: Asus Eee - Why we URGENTLY need a x-platform Delphi

Bob writes:
Funny, Its running linux but the keyboard still has the "Windows logo"
key right there between the Ctrl and Alt
Is it not just called the flag key?
But, you are right they should have done like on this Cherry Linux
keyboard, use Tux:
<www.cherry.de/english/products/public_sector_g83-6188_linux.htm>
Doei RIF

Re: Asus Eee - Why we URGENTLY need a x-platform Delphi

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:25:27 -0000, "Charles B" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
The real point is the trend towards Linux (even if only because its
cheap/free). I suspect Kylix might have been too far ahead of the game in
its time and might be more popular now.
Yeah--it looks like I might end up having to abadon Delphi to support
Linux.

Re: Asus Eee - Why we URGENTLY need a x-platform Delphi

I.P. Nichols writes:
..
Not gonna happen the way you want. Since Microsoft enjoys about 90-95%
of the desktop market it is likely that some countries will want
Microsoft OS on their OLPC computer on the basis that they will want
their kids to be proficient with the market leader OS. Recently Nigeria
announced that 80,000 computers ordered from a French company with Linux
OS installed will be switched to MS OS after they are delivered.
..
The French company is Mandriva. (Linux distro) it is been this way and
that way. At the moment the original OS (Linux) will stay, but the
Nigerian gov wants to hold the right to change in the future if it does
not work out. (The scaled down version of XP is not ready yet anyways -
apparently testing in Jan) There is also some 'dirt' money involved MS
paid the projuct distributor (TCS in Abuja) in Nigeria $400000 disguised
as a Marketing campaign for Intel classmate PC. Anyways read it in the
latest Linux Format magazine..
siegfried

Bob writes:
Funny, Its running linux but the keyboard still has the "Windows logo"
key right there between the Ctrl and Alt
Put your glasses on Bob - it is the Home key, and it pops up a FileManager with
the Home directory open.

ssamayoa writes:
But I found it at $400.00

At such price tag I think is much better to but a Dell even Acer entry
level notebook.
If you are just looking for a notebook, then yes.
But tell me, how many $400 laptops are there that fit in a handbag ? Small
briefcase, along with the newspaper and lunch ?
The whole point of the Eee is that while it has half the power of a normal
laptop, it is also half the size, a third the weight, and a *quarter* the cost
of laptops of similar size.