heap problem

Hello,

Some days ago I downloaded a unit wich allows you to play modfiles
in your program, you just have to open them in your source.
In the technical information doc was explained how to use the unit,
and they said the compiler took all the memory for itself, so I get the
message 'Out of memory'. The solution to this was to limit the heap.
Now, uh,...  HELP, how do you do that?

Thanks, Da_Nemo

Re:heap problem

Da_Nemo wrote:
> message 'Out of memory'. The solution to this was to limit the heap.
> Now, uh,...  HELP, how do you do that?

Use the {$M....}-Compiler-Switch. If you type <Strg-o> twice the TP-editor
should place your current compiler settings to the top of your source
code. Now change the last two numbers of the {$M}-Switch to 0. Now there
should be plenty of heap available to the player - but not to your own
program.
For further information read the OLH.

        Bye,
          Ingo

Re:heap problem

Ingo van Lil wrote:
> Da_Nemo wrote:

> > message 'Out of memory'. The solution to this was to limit the heap.
> > Now, uh,...  HELP, how do you do that?

> Use the {$M....}-Compiler-Switch. If you type <Strg-o> twice the TP-editor
> should place your current compiler settings to the top of your source
> code. Now change the last two numbers of the {$M}-Switch to 0. Now there
> should be plenty of heap available to the player - but not to your own
> program.
> For further information read the OLH.

That defeats the purpose.  Out of memory generally means the program needs
*more* heap, not less (or none at all).  It's the compiler's heap that needs
to be limited, not the program's.  Best advice would be to either compile it
to disk and leave the IDE to run the program or just skip the IDE altogether
and use the command-line compiler.  MOD playing demands a good deal of memory,
and with the IDE running, there isn't much left to go around, even if you do
play with the settings.