Re: HP Sees Huge Linux Desktop Deals

2007-03-09 01:30:56 PM
delphi55
On 3/8/2007 3:29:13 PM, "David Dean [CodeGear]" writes:
In article <45f09705$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
Dejan Stankovic <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>Forgive my bad memory, but did JBuilder run on Mac or Solaris before you
>integrated it into Eclipse?

Yes it did. As did CBX.

And it did as JBuilder, too.. :-)
--
David Orriss Jr. [TeamB]
www.codethought.com

Re: HP Sees Huge Linux Desktop Deals

Gbenga A{*word*73}la writes:
If Delphi for Linux (Kylix) is as good as Win32 on Linux/Unix,
many of us (Delphite), would not hesistate to write killer
apps for Linux, using the "almighty" Delphi approach.

Even though I'd also like to see a delphi cross platform solution
(for embedded devices), I do not see a market (in the meaning of people
willing to pay) for desktop linux applications.
--
Lars Frische
Software Developer

Re: HP Sees Huge Linux Desktop Deals

Hi Nick,

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
>JBuilder runs on the Mac.

JBuilder has been running on the Mac, Linux, Solaris, and Windows since
version 3.5
Whenever Borland released a JBuilder built upon pure Java, it will run
where Java runs. They have had problems with some of the installation
routines, but not JB itself.

Re: HP Sees Huge Linux Desktop Deals

That's why I wrote Delphi for Linux and not Kylix.
I had tried kylix and had too many problems. I don't think Kylix 4 would do any good.
Delphi for Linux might be better.
Well... let's hope that CG manages to give us, linux developers, a better IDE.
Gbenga A{*word*73}la writes:
If Delphi for Linux (Kylix) is as good as Win32 on Linux/Unix,
many of us (Delphite), would not hesistate to write killer
apps for Linux, using the "almighty" Delphi approach.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Cl=E9ment_Doss?= <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
<<cut>>>
>Hi tony
>It is time to introduce HP and CG, and have a Delphi For Linux as good as a Delphi
>for Win32. I sure hope some good deal can result from those companies!!
>
>Clément

Re: HP Sees Huge Linux Desktop Deals

Me too ! Even though I haven't upgraded from Delphi 7 on windows, I'd almost
certainly purchase a linux-based Delphi. I wouldn't even worry if it wasn't
platform-independant. It would just be great to have a propre development
environment on linux.
Pete K

Tom writes:
>Kylix was ahead of it is time. Just think if they had kept improving
>it....

CLX was a bad idea and made the product less desirable before it even got
off the ground. I also think Borland has no interest in multi-platform,
period. Maybe because their hands are tied due to agreements with MS. Who
knows.

If CLX was a bad idea, what about VCL/.NET? They both are a way to
bridge the VCL framework into another system. CLX bridged the VCL into
KDE using some of the Qt framework to get the job done. It was a hacked
interface and it showed.
The problem with anything Linux is that you need to move fast. Linux
updates about every 6 months and if you don't have fast release cycles
you get left behind. Neither Borland or MS has these fast release cycles
and by the time they did release Linux had moved on.
One could say much the same about trying to run after .NET. BDS will
soon support .NET 2.0 but MS will have 3.0 in the market at that time.
I do see that CodeGear is doing a better job of quick and targeted
releases. Perhaps either Delphi/VCL or C++ support for Linux could be
something they could do and manage to keep up. I still like BCX better
than the other IDEs on Linux. Too bad it didn't have a visual designer.
James

Re: HP Sees Huge Linux Desktop Deals

The problem with anything Linux is that you need to move fast. Linux
updates about every 6 months and if you don't have fast release cycles
you get left behind. Neither Borland or MS has these fast release cycles
and by the time they did release Linux had moved on.

This is also what is keeping linux acceptance low on the desktop.
Interfaces are constantly being broken. A business doesn't want to pay
thousands of dollars for software to have it break in the future because
some library was updated. m$ understands this and that is why
compatability is job #1 for them. Say what you want about windows, but
i can still build an app in delphi that will run on windows 95 and up.

Re: HP Sees Huge Linux Desktop Deals

They just need cross compiling and remote debugging. I don't really
care if the IDE runs on linux. How compatibile are delphi apps with wine?

Mike Margerum writes:
This is also what is keeping linux acceptance low on the desktop.
Interfaces are constantly being broken. A business doesn't want to pay
thousands of dollars for software to have it break in the future because
some library was updated. m$ understands this and that is why
compatability is job #1 for them. Say what you want about windows, but
i can still build an app in delphi that will run on windows 95 and up.
For standard Win32 Delphi applications that might be true, but the
driver models and kernel are quite different. Vista has a whole new TCP
stack and older firewalls won't work with it. The AV interface has
changed and Symantec and McAfee are both making a fuss over it. The
Win16 subsystem is also gone on Vista. The NetBIOS protocol is no longer
supported. Yes, I wrote some NetBIOS programs way back with Delphi 3.
I do agree with you that Linux is a mess for application developers. But
then that is the whole idea of open source, you just recompile and hope
that not too much is broken.
James

Re: HP Sees Huge Linux Desktop Deals

For standard Win32 Delphi applications that might be true, but the
driver models and kernel are quite different. Vista has a whole new TCP
stack and older firewalls won't work with it. The AV interface has
I would expect kernel/driver level stuff to break with each OS release.
The problem with linux is user mode stuff breaks routinely.
I do agree with you that Linux is a mess for application developers. But
then that is the whole idea of open source, you just recompile and hope
that not too much is broken.

That's great for open source apps and a geek who knows how to compile
them. Heck I run linux here on a server and love it for that. For
geeks ADD types like me linux is the perfect distraction.
The problem is my customers can barely handle running a setup in windows.