Refunds

2007-07-21 01:06:13 AM
delphi195
Theres plenty postings here of people who are happy with Delphi 2007 and those who
have hit dispair.
If I hit the OK button and purchase 2007, is there any guarantees/mechanisms
for refund if it turns out that 2007 causes me as much grief as 2005?
Especially since I will have to buy the UK 'enhanced' version.
AW

Re:Refunds

Tony Bryer writes:
IME it is the best release since D7, possibly
better even.
Tony --
Thanks for the kind words.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re:Refunds

I installed 2005 but never used it, having seen the bad wrap it got
here and elsewhere. Then BDS2006 which did me well for a good while.

I installed 2007 intending to stick with 2006 for serious work for a
while yet (my past practice) but switched everything to 2007 within
a matter of weeks. IME it is the best release since D7, possibly
better even. Note that this is from running it on machines with 1GB+
of RAM
Thanks for your comment, but as I said, I am aware its good for some and bad
for others. Interesting that Nick chose to respond to your post but
presumably that suggests he'd prefer to ignore mine!
The point is I am buying this myself and if it turns out to be a dead dog for
me then I would like some guarantee that I can apply for a refund. I have hovered
over that OK button many a time and pulled out because of a) the cost, b)
the experience with D2005. I would guess there are plenty in the same boat.
BTW, do CG ever do special offers? This weekend only save 50 notes for
example? Plenty over on the 3rd Party group seem to do this kind of thing.
If I feel something is 'on offer' I (and others) are more likely to click
that OK button. I am always guilty of falling for the "buy one get one free"
in the supermarket. It works for them.
Ta
AW

Re:Refunds

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, Underwhelmed writes:
If I hit the OK button and purchase 2007, is there any guarantees
/mechanisms for refund if it turns out that 2007 causes me as much
grief as 2005? Especially since I will have to buy the UK 'enhanced'
version.
I installed 2005 but never used it, having seen the bad wrap it got
here and elsewhere. Then BDS2006 which did me well for a good while.
I installed 2007 intending to stick with 2006 for serious work for a
while yet (my past practice) but switched everything to 2007 within
a matter of weeks. IME it is the best release since D7, possibly
better even. Note that this is from running it on machines with 1GB+
of RAM
--
Tony Bryer SDA UK 'Software to build on' www.sda.co.uk

Re:Refunds

"underwhelmed" <bv>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Especially since I will have to buy the UK 'enhanced' version.
There is a trial version. Start there.

Re:Refunds

underwhelmed writes:
The point is I am buying this myself and if it turns out to be a dead
dog for me then I would like some guarantee that I can apply for a refund.
I doubt you will, but if you want a refund, I will personally make sure
you get one.
--

Uffe Kousgaard writes:
There is a trial version. Start there.
Great idea --
cc.codegear.com/Free.aspx
I should have thought to recommend that. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:Refunds

I doubt you will, but if you want a refund, I will personally make sure
you get one.

I appreciate that comment a lot. Makes me a lot happier. Thanks Nick.
AW

Re:Refunds

underwhelmed writes:
If I hit the OK button and purchase 2007, is there any guarantees/mechanisms
for refund if it turns out that 2007 causes me as much grief as 2005?
Especially since I will have to buy the UK 'enhanced' version.
That's funny... I'd like a refund for BDS2006. IMO, it is garbage.

Re:Refunds

underwhelmed writes:

>There is a trial version. Start there.

Been there, done that... Re-Installing 2005 and all the 3rd
party components is not a task I undertake lightly...
AW
I do totally hear you there... recently uninstalled Photoshop CS3 after
trying to just remove that wretched bonjour service that Adobe does not
(openly) tell you that it installs. Short story is that my system got
hosed. Utterly. But it only took 15 minutes to restore everything from
a recent image via IFW.
Terabyte Unlimited over at
www.terabyteunlimited.com/purchimgw.html
Image for Windows (IFW) - $38.94
Bootit NG and Image for Windows (includes Image for DOS/Linux) - $49.98
I reeeealllllly doubt that you would run into something similar with
D2k7, but if you fear re-installing 2005 w/3rd parties and all, IFW
would be your friend.
hth
--

Re:Refunds

Hi,
"underwhelmed" <bv>writes:
>There is a trial version. Start there.
Been there, done that. It wasn't a great expereince, either with the
installer or once installed. Whether it was down to conflicts with the
already installed 2005 or not I don't know, but I wasn't prepared to
remove 2005 just to find out. Re-Installing 2005 and all the 3rd party
components is not a task I undertake lightly. Since you only get 30 days
to trial it I didnt want to spend most of that just trying to get it to
work properly.
There is always VMware (free "player" or "server", or not too
expensive "workstation") for trying out software.
MfG
twm

Re:Refunds

Thomas Mueller writes:

"underwhelmed" <bv>writes:

>>There is a trial version. Start there.

>Been there, done that. It wasn't a great expereince, either with the
>installer or once installed. Whether it was down to conflicts with the
>already installed 2005 or not I don't know, but I wasn't prepared to
>remove 2005 just to find out. Re-Installing 2005 and all the 3rd party
>components is not a task I undertake lightly. Since you only get 30 days
>to trial it I didnt want to spend most of that just trying to get it to
>work properly.

There is always VMware (free "player" or "server", or not too
expensive "workstation") for trying out software.

MfG
twm
Or MS Virtual PC (free):
www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx
Microsoft Windows Vista 30-Day Eval VHD:
www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx
Got those two and tried Delphi 2007 there before buying a new machine with
Vista and changing over to it as my main development machine.
Brian

Re:Refunds

That's funny... I'd like a refund for BDS2006. IMO, it is garbage.
It's actually not so funny. There are a lot of companies that offer
no-questions asked money back guarantees. We are one of these and we've only
good experiences so far. I think that it is often necessary to try the real
thing and not the (often quite limited) trial versions. On a "high profile"
product like Delphi 2007 or similar this could be changed to some scheme where an
unrefundable amount is added (e.g. 50 or 100$) to avoid misuse of the scheme.
I personally think it would surely get quite a few people to simply give it a
try as a loss of 50 or 100$ in case of a return is peanuts compared to the
potential 1000s of dollars. Also restrict the offer to direct web sales via
credit card to simplify/automate the refund process. I would think that the
benefit of additional sales is far higher than the cost of the returns. Not to
mention that people won't have the feeling of being ripped off ...
At then end though it is all coming down to how confident you are with your
product being up to expectation.
--
Hannes Danzl [NexusDB Developer]
Newsgroup archive at www.tamaracka.com/search.htm

Re:Refunds

I can not speak for all Germans but I have the feeling that your suggestion
wouldn't work in Germany. Most developers here don't have a corporate credit
card and if they have one they have to ask for permission to purchase. Even
many companies don't have a credit card. I run a web shop for online
software sales myself and selling to Germans has been a general pain in the
neck many times.
I personally prefer the option of a free download of the software, but in a
restricted version. It just depends *how* the software is restricted.
Limiting features would probably be the wrong way. With Delphi the
limitation could be that executables cannot run outside of Delphi, like many
shareware venders do it. It would give you the opportunity to install
external components (most of them are also restricted to run from the IDE
only) and it would provide *all* features of the full version for testing.
What I really hate is time limitation, I never find the time to test
everything before the limit is exceeded.
That's just my 2 cents...
Joe

Re:Refunds

underwhelmed schrieb:
>There is a trial version. Start there.

Been there, done that. It wasn't a great expereince, either with the
installer or once installed. Whether it was down to conflicts with the
already installed 2005 or not I don't know, but I wasn't prepared to remove
2005 just to find out. Re-Installing 2005 and all the 3rd party components
is not a task I undertake lightly. Since you only get 30 days to trial it I
didnt want to spend most of that just trying to get it to work properly.

AW

Hello,
I'm not sure wether it already contains Update 1.
Greetings
Markus