Re: Congrats CodeGear!

On 15 Nov 2006 16:29:48 -0700, "Allen Bauer (CodeGear)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Can't just drop in unannounced.
Automated sentry guns?
- Asbjørn

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Allen Bauer (CodeGear) writes:

We're looking into one of these ;-)...

Allen - based on the timestamps that I am seeing your posts, is your PC
still on PDT instead of PST?
David Erbas-White

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Lord Crc writes:

Automated sentry guns?
Given the shape of the CodeGear building, antibodies would be the
appropriate weapon. <g>
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Allen Bauer (CodeGear) writes:
www.newlaunches.com/archives/samsung_develops_machine_gun_sentr
y_ robot_costs_200k.php

We're looking into one of these ;-)...
Hmmm. Wonder if you can make one out of these kits
mindstorms.lego.com/Overview/The_NXT.aspx
--
Compact Framework for Delphi 2006: www.jed-software.com/cf.htm
QualityCentral Windows Client: www.jed-software.com/qc.htm

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Nick,
| There are no Borland employees in Scotts Valley.
I did not know that.
Are you still in a part of the old Borland campus buildings? I haven't
been there in several years... since the last "picnic."
11/15/2006 20:27:05
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Allen,
| There's a very dangerous, twisty and windy road between here and
there.
I've been traveling 17 since 1957. I know it well. <g>(I live in
Sunnyvale.)
| Tod (and any other Borlander) has to ask
| permission from him to visit. can not just drop in unannounced.
That's not very friendly. <g>But I think I understand the reasons.
;-)
11/15/2006 20:29:23
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

David,
| And how deep will the foxholes be??? <G>
<chuckle>
11/15/2006 20:31:26
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Allen,
| We're looking into one of these ;-)...
LOL!
11/15/2006 21:46:33

Q Correll writes:
Are you still in a part of the old Borland campus buildings? I
haven't been there in several years... since the last "picnic."
If you mean the building that is separated into five "mods", yes. Both
Borland and Code Gear had some folks over in the old Green Hills
Offices, but everyone is gone from there.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - CodeGear

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Tom Corey writes:
Makl Hvrz writes:

>How about posting some of this to your blog, like "investment world
>in a nutshell"? This could be interesting to hear from the
>perspective of a non-business man if it leaves out the
>business-jargon.

I have my doubts that any process which involves so many lawyers and
accountants can be adequately expressed in English such that a real
person could understand it :)
Very easy to explain in Anglo-Saxon ;-)

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

JED writes:
Hmmm. Wonder if you can make one out of these kits
mindstorms.lego.com/Overview/The_NXT.aspx
You probably could, but I wouldn't want to test the "friend or foe"
filter...
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
While I am not a lawyer, I am certain this is not right. The new
company is legally a separate entity, so Borland cannot just "scoop"
money from them on a whim.
Correct. But I{*word*7}either...
Any money flowing up to the parent company
must be in trade for something just as it must be between any two
corporate entities.
Almost certainly wrong :)
Borland will hold 100% of the stock in codegear . If codegear make a
profit, then they can declare a "dividend", which is paid to the
shareholders of so many $ per share. Borland, in their role as 100%
shareholders (they own the co, even if they aren't running it)can set
the dividend and could extract all the years's profit rather then
allowing codegear to reinvest it in new products. Not saying that they
will or should, just that AFAIK they *could* do this.
- Roddy

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Allen Bauer (CodeGear) writes:
I'd rather be in control of how and where we spend the money brought
in by the CodeGear products. At least we're the "boneheaded execs"
now.
:-)
Does the spin-off mean Codegear will have less problems from the
dreaded SOx regulations, or are you now a smaller co. with all the big
co. baggage in this respect?
- Roddy

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
Borland still owns CodeGear. They have to otherwise they can not sell it
when the time comes. If they own it, they can do what they like with
the cash.
>CodeGear proves viable? Borland will sell them.

Which is what most were hoping for anyway, so hardly a bad thing,
right?
Agreed.
>CodeGear doesn't prove
>viable? Borland will kill them off.

And how would that be different if their ownership was with any other
entity?
Not at all. We're agreeing.
If Borland seriously did not think they could make a go of it
on their own they would not have spent that last many months, money,
and people's time forming this subsidiary - they would already have
been killed off - it is a lot cheaper.
Generally, I agree though I don't believe they spent these many months
just on creating CodeGear. I think they spent a lot of time trying to
sell DTG and when they couldn't get what they wanted, then decided to
create CodeGear.
But clearly, Borland have one view on what DTG is worth and investors
have another. Borland are taking a gamble that they're right and that
by splitting off CodeGear they can prove it. History will show if they
were right.
--
Derek Davidson

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Jon Shemitz writes:
A wholly
owned subsidiary has only as much independence as the parent wants to
give it.
Exactly.
--
Derek Davidson