Re: Turbos Distribution

2006-10-10 02:59:10 AM
delphi161
Brian Moelk writes:
I also agree that if it were from a mirror, it would be an incomplete
picture, but probably a reasonably large enough sample to be of some
value.
Oh, and based on Rod's source, the sample size would have been 9720
downloads total. Out of how many Turbos registered I have no idea.
Granted not all downloads would be registered, but that is the closest
anyone has to a total number of copies in use.
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Re: Turbos Distribution

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
I can not see how it is illegal or in bad faith to share numbers from
something we're explicitly allowed to redistribute, but if so it would
be not exactly a complete picture.
It depends on the agreements made to be a mirror. I don't know if they
had to sign some kind of non-disclosure.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: Turbos Distribution

>I can not see how it is illegal or in bad faith to share numbers from
>something we're explicitly allowed to redistribute, but if so it would
>be not exactly a complete picture.

It depends on the agreements made to be a mirror. I don't know if they
had to sign some kind of non-disclosure.
No, we did not have to.
Simon

Re: Turbos Distribution

>delphi-notes.blogspot.com/

Thank you. It looks heavily weighted toward german speakers. I wonder
if the ratios are the same for other mirrors.
I can confirm that the numbers are pretty similar for the torrent-mirror:
Delphi Win32: 41%
C++: 28%
C#: 16%
Delphi.NET 15%
4300 samples.
Language distribution is:
English: 63%
German: 16%
Japanese: 16%
French: 5%
Simon

Re: Turbos Distribution

In article <452aa547$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
"Simon Kissel" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I can confirm that the numbers are pretty similar for the torrent-mirror:
Then it sounds like the number are at least reliable enough for
relative ranking. C++ actually did better than I expected.
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Re: Turbos Distribution

>I can confirm that the numbers are pretty similar for the torrent-mirror:

Then it sounds like the number are at least reliable enough for
relative ranking. C++ actually did better than I expected.
Yes, I am suprised about that, too. Maybe that is because the C++ user
have the biggest urge for a new version due to getting no new releases
during the last year.
Also interesting is that Delphi.NET actually is on the last place, even
behind C# - I'd not have imagined anyone familar with C# would
go for a Borland tool...
Simon

Re: Turbos Distribution

Simon Kissel writes:
>>delphi-notes.blogspot.com/
>Thank you. It looks heavily weighted toward german speakers. I wonder
>if the ratios are the same for other mirrors.

I can confirm that the numbers are pretty similar for the torrent-mirror:

Delphi Win32: 41%
C++: 28%
C#: 16%
Delphi.NET 15%

4300 samples.

Language distribution is:

English: 63%
German: 16%
Japanese: 16%
French: 5%

Simon

I don't understand the effort on .net in Delphi 2007. I'd force
native Win64, Generics, Unicode...

Re: Turbos Distribution

Rod,
I don't understand the effort on .net in Delphi 2007. I'd force native
Win64, Generics, Unicode...
Well, I guess we can assume that Borland/BTG also knows about
these numbers and stats themselves. ;)
I'm pretty confident that after the massive amount of Feedback they've
now gathered during the last few weeks, they'll also have internal
discussions about if their current roadmap still makes sense.
We'll see...
Simon

Re: Turbos Distribution

Simon Kissel writes:
Rod,

>I don't understand the effort on .net in Delphi 2007. I'd force native
>Win64, Generics, Unicode...

Well, I guess we can assume that Borland/BTG also knows about
these numbers and stats themselves. ;)

I'm pretty confident that after the massive amount of Feedback they've
now gathered during the last few weeks, they'll also have internal
discussions about if their current roadmap still makes sense.

We'll see...

Simon

The current Delphi 2007 road map says
.net, .net, .net, .net, .net, ..., few Win32 improvements (but don't
expect to much)

Re: Turbos Distribution

- I'd not have imagined anyone familar with C# would
go for a Borland tool...
Maybe they were looking for a lightweight alternative to VS, like #Develop?
That's what I have on the laptop.
Eric

Re: Turbos Distribution

The current Delphi 2007 road map says
.net, .net, .net, .net, .net, ..., few Win32 improvements (but don't
expect to much)
Yeah, but then again, this roadmap was written long before TurboDelphi
was released, and before they got made aware by their customers that
they finally need to do what the remaining customers are asking for if
they wish to keep them...
So hey, please don't destroy my hope that they've finally got it ;)
Simon

Re: Turbos Distribution

Simon Kissel writes:
Yeah, but then again, this roadmap was written long before TurboDelphi
was released, and before they got made aware by their customers that
they finally need to do what the remaining customers are asking for if
they wish to keep them...
Before the Turbos came out Borland was not able to figure out the real
distribution (BDS = all in one).

Re: Turbos Distribution

>Delphi Win32 48%
>C++ Win32 24%
>Delphi .Net 14%
>C# .Net 14%

If this is indeed accurate, it isn't surprising to those of us still in
the Win32 camp.
No huge surprises. Maybe the only surprise is that C++/Win32 is doing so
well.
Dave