Re: [64-bit] optimism

2005-03-02 11:11:51 AM
delphi6
David Clegg writes:
Hang on, I like his logic. It means that I can take credit for the
fact we now have an IDE that targets multiple compilers and platforms.

qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

I bet Borland never even considered doing it until I mentioned it to
them.

No, no, don't thank me now. But remember to send me a card at
Christmas.
I think it might have tipped the scales. Corbin wasn't even sure at
that stage <vbg>... (probably)!
I'll send you a postcard of a real cricket team instead!
--
Screenshots of Version 2 of DCM now available from
www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/dcm.htm

Re: [64-bit] optimism

Landi writes:
A 64-bit Delphi Compiler now definitely on the Borland Radar Screen.
I bet if you wrote Henry Ford, he might consider your idea of a car...

Re: [64-bit] optimism

JED writes:
I'll send you a postcard of a real cricket team instead!
<sigh>
I was waiting for you to mention that. Thanks for showing such
restraint up to this point.
At least we still have our rugby (I *so* hope those words don't come
back to bite me this year).
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: [64-bit] optimism

What about you and Will putting together some info like the
C++ group to move things along? I am willing to help.
--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

Re: [64-bit] optimism

David Clegg writes:
At least we still have our rugby (I so hope those words don't come
back to bite me this year).
Unfortunately I only follow the rugby every 4 years but I will happily
take the ribbing if deserved.
--
Screenshots of Version 2 of DCM now available from
www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/dcm.htm

Re: [64-bit] optimism

On 1 Mar 2005 16:08:49 -0800, "John Kaster (Borland)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Dennis, it was before.
Perhaps he's one of those that belive that the tree's aren't there
when we're not looking at them?
I can however say that your wording in certain posts when read fairly
literally sound very pessimistic. But I guess you have a corporate ass
to cover, which I understand.
- Asbj°rn

Re: [64-bit] optimism

Lord Crc writes:
I can however say that your wording in certain posts when read fairly
literally sound very pessimistic.
Fair enough. I'd hope they would sound fairly demanding instead of
pessmistic.
But I guess you have a corporate ass
to cover, which I understand.
My posts had nothing to do with covering up anything. Rather, they were
an attempt to EXPOSE a business case for making a native 64-bit
compiler more urgent.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re: [64-bit] optimism

On 1 Mar 2005 21:56:53 -0800, "John Kaster (Borland)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
My posts had nothing to do with covering up anything. Rather, they were
an attempt to EXPOSE a business case for making a native 64-bit
compiler more urgent.
I didn't mean cover up. I meant cover. As in, you can not say all that
much about certain things cause you might not end up doing this or
that, and then you'd be stapled to the ceiling, pissed of customers
etc.
- Asbj°rn

Re: [64-bit] optimism

Lord Crc writes:
I didn't mean cover up. I meant cover. As in, you can not say all that
much about certain things cause you might not end up doing this or
that, and then you'd be stapled to the ceiling, pissed of customers
etc.
Thanks for clarification. My interpretation of "cover your <behind>" is
a little different than the way I read your initial message.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: [64-bit] optimism

I'm not saying this to annoy you, just to correct the misconception
that carpet bombing our newsgroups with redundant posts are an
effective strategy toward convincing Borland of anything.

but "repeat" a theme means that it stays in the mind ;-)
The "message" of this that there are interests for a nativ 64bit
compiler and that delphi users afraid about about the possibility that
there comes never a nativ 64bit complier (and because of this are cut
from the technical progress).
For our situation...
We based all of our web systems on a webbroker/isapi driven content
managment system that build by IB and Delphi. There are nearly 40
webpages based on this this system. This should be long forward planning
strategy for us.
If "Windows" moved to 64bit (ISAPI Interface then also changed to
64bit), and there are no equal 64bit delphi compiler, we can not change to
64bit and cut from the technical progress.
This is not a problem for the next 2-3 years but in 4-5 years this
becomes a really big problem.
with best regards
Nils
PS: .NET and ASP.NET (with the actual possibilities) is no comparable
solution for us compared to isapi.
_________________________________
Verlag Eugen Ulmer
Datenbanken und IT-Entwicklung
Nils B÷deker
BŘrgerwohlsweg 7
D-28215 Bremen
Germany
Tel: +49 (0)421 - 3795020
Fax: +49 (0)421 - 3795021
Mobil: +49 (0) 172 - 7468066
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
www.ulmer.de
yahoo ID: nilsboedeker
Skype ID: nilsboedeker
ICQ ID: 206474523

Re: [64-bit] optimism

Good work to all the 64-bit Lobbyists who helped to bring about that
sea-change at Borland.
Yes, I can see it now.
Borland emp1: Have you seen this stuff in the newsgroups?
Borland emp2: No, what's that?
Borland emp1: Something about a 64 bit Delphi compiler?
Borland emp2: 64 eh? Very interesting, what do you think?
Borland emp1: I think we should look into it, after all lots of people
are talking about it on the newsgroups. Well, a few people are talking
about it lots.
Borland emp2: Okay then, let's look into it. After all, it is "the
newsgroups".
Pete
====
ECO Modeler, Audio compression components, DIB graphics controls,
FastStrings
www.droopyeyes.com
Read or write articles on just about anything
www.HowToDoThings.com
My blog
blogs.slcdug.org/petermorris/

Re: [64-bit] optimism

Nils Boedeker writes:
For our situation...
We based all of our web systems on a webbroker/isapi driven content
managment system that build by IB and Delphi. There are nearly 40
webpages based on this this system. This should be long forward planning
strategy for us.

If "Windows" moved to 64bit (ISAPI Interface then also changed to
64bit), and there are no equal 64bit delphi compiler, we can not change to
64bit and cut from the technical progress.
Have you told Borland that? This sort of feedback from their customers
(through "proper" channels) is what will make a 64 bit compiler happen.

Re: [64-bit] optimism

The "message" of this
We all know what the "message" is :-) This is not an effective way to
deliver it.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re: [64-bit] optimism

On 2 Mar 2005 00:17:25 -0800, "John Kaster (Borland)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Thanks for clarification. My interpretation of "cover your <behind>" is
a little different than the way I read your initial message.
I guess it doesn't help that english isn't my native language :)
Btw, I find all these 64-bit threads eerily familiar. "We can not do
anything because Borland has no .net plans/product. Why have you
forsaken us?" "All new development will happen in .Net, we need to
start yesterday!" "In 6 months .Net will be released, and if we don't
drop everything and rebuild all our code from scratch, we won't be
able to deliver our .net product then! We need a .net compiler now
Borland!" etc etc.
- Asbj°rn

Re: [64-bit] optimism

We all know what the "message" is :-) This is not an effective way to
deliver it.

but WHAT ist the effective way to deliver this?
Nils
--