Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

Andrea Raimondi <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
I really think we've reached the point where 64 bits posts should be
forbidden.
I think the better action would be to place the worst offenders on probation,
such that their posts are quarantined until approved by a TeamB member. TeamB
has been way too lenient regarding personal attacks in these threads.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.392

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

"Captain Jake" <jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes
but nobody is going to be using it for
client PC's, until they can not get 32-bit operating systems to put on them.
Joe Schmoe is not going to rush out and replace Windows XP with a 64 bit
version unless some game that he has just got to have is available only in
64-bit.

You say that as if you think its an unlikely or improblable scenario.
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

Dennis Landi <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<42058b35$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>

>but nobody is going to be using it for
>client PC's, until they can not get 32-bit operating systems to put on them.
>Joe Schmoe is not going to rush out and replace Windows XP with a 64 bit
>version unless some game that he has just got to have is available only in
>64-bit.

You say that as if you think its an unlikely or improblable scenario.
If 64-bit programs really offer just a small improvement in speed over 32-bit
programs running on the same 64-bit chips, it will be a non-existent
scenario until attrition has wasted away enough of the 32-bit world.
Right now, you don't get much speed advantage with 64-bit CPU's because
current software doesn't require anything beyond the 4GB limit anyway, and
let's face, most users are not even at the limit for 32-bit memory right now.
It is nice that 64-bit CPU's will allow PC's that go past the 4GB barrier,
but personally I doubt there are too many users pushing against that barrier
right now. 64-bit CPU's are a solution looking for a problem. I mean
seriously, how many gamers do you know that have 4GB of RAM in their PC?
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.392

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

"Captain Jake" <jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes
Dennis Landi <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<42058b35$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>"Captain Jake" <jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes
>
>>but nobody is going to be using it for
>>client PC's, until they can not get 32-bit operating systems to put on
them.
>>Joe Schmoe is not going to rush out and replace Windows XP with a 64
bit
>>version unless some game that he has just got to have is available
only in
>>64-bit.
>>

>You say that as if you think its an unlikely or improblable scenario.

If 64-bit programs really offer just a small improvement in speed over
32-bit
programs running on the same 64-bit chips, it will be a non-existent
scenario until attrition has wasted away enough of the 32-bit world.

Right now, you don't get much speed advantage with 64-bit CPU's because
current software doesn't require anything beyond the 4GB limit anyway, and
let's face, most users are not even at the limit for 32-bit memory right
now.
It is nice that 64-bit CPU's will allow PC's that go past the 4GB barrier,
but personally I doubt there are too many users pushing against that
barrier
right now. 64-bit CPU's are a solution looking for a problem. I mean
seriously, how many gamers do you know that have 4GB of RAM in their PC?

Why are you only talking about memory? Can you explain to me what other
advantages 64-bit chips have over 32-bit chips?
And why didn't you talk about the scenario I responded to in your previous
post? (Games?)
In order to have a coherent conversation you will need to carry one thought
from one post to the next.

<42059130$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>right now. 64-bit CPU's are a solution looking for a problem. I mean
>seriously, how many gamers do you know that have 4GB of RAM in their PC?

Why are you only talking about memory?
The point was very simple. Even gamers are not using the existing technology
at it is maximum capability, so why the hell do you or anyone else think there
is going to be any great rush into 64-bits?

And why didn't you talk about the scenario I responded to in your previous
post? (Games?)
LOL. What do you think "gamers" are doing on their PC's? Writing odes to your
greatness?

In order to have a coherent conversation you will need to carry one thought
from one post to the next.
Those insults really make you look mature to all the lurkers that are
wondering if they should vote for the QC item on 64-bits. Keep up the good
work.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.394

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

"Captain Jake" <jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes
Dennis Landi <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<42059130$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>"Captain Jake" <jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes
>>right now. 64-bit CPU's are a solution looking for a problem. I mean
>>seriously, how many gamers do you know that have 4GB of RAM in their
PC?

>Why are you only talking about memory?

The point was very simple. Even gamers are not using the existing
technology
at it is maximum capability, so why the hell do you or anyone else think
there
is going to be any great rush into 64-bits?
You didn't answer my question. Can you explain to me what advantages a
64-bit chip has over a 32-bit chip, other than memory?

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

Captain Jake writes:
What is more relevant is that fact that Delphi 2 was the first 32-bit
version of Delphi, and it came out 11 years after the 80386 was
released, and was quite successful as development tools go. 11 years.
Not 11 months. Not 6-18 months ether. 11 years.
While interesting that it came out 11 years after the 386, it is also
largely irrelevant to your argument. Were you trying to make a point
here?
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Dennis Landi writes:
You didn't answer my question. Can you explain to me what advantages
a 64-bit chip has over a 32-bit chip, other than memory?
I don't think he knows.
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

First thing that comes to mind is the extra register, which means less use of
the stack hence faster code.
>Dennis Landi <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
><42059130$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>>"Captain Jake" <jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes
>>>right now. 64-bit CPU's are a solution looking for a problem. I mean
>>>seriously, how many gamers do you know that have 4GB of RAM in their
PC?

>>Why are you only talking about memory?
>
>The point was very simple. Even gamers are not using the existing
technology
>at it is maximum capability, so why the hell do you or anyone else think
there
>is going to be any great rush into 64-bits?

You didn't answer my question. Can you explain to me what advantages a
64-bit chip has over a 32-bit chip, other than memory?
To email me remove the obvious

<4205a027$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Can you explain to me what advantages a
64-bit chip has over a 32-bit chip, other than memory?
Yes, small speed gains.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.394

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

I now agree with the one who said that all posts on this topic, ALL posts,
ought to be canceled. Don't bother replying to this message, unless it does
something for your ego. I am not reading any more of your worthless "dribble"
on this topic.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.394

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

"Captain Jake" <jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes
Dennis Landi <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<4205a027$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>Can you explain to me what advantages a
>64-bit chip has over a 32-bit chip, other than memory?

Yes, small speed gains.

That's it? Is this as technical as you wish to be with your answer? I
guess if you can pretend to give us economic insight into a technology you
don't understand; you can pretend to it understand as well.

Captain Jake writes:
I now agree with the one who said that all posts on this topic, ALL
posts, ought to be canceled. Don't bother replying to this message,
unless it does something for your ego. I am not reading any more of
your worthless "dribble" on this topic.
What's the matter Jake? Don't like being shown how irrelevant your
arguments are? Don't like the fact that you wasted all these posts
arguing about how it took 11 years for a 32-bit Delphi to arrive after
the introduction of the first 32-bit processor?
If we were debating when I should get up in the morning to go out and
buy an espresso, it'd be as if you were asking what my birthdate was.
What does it matter?
The introduction of the 386 in relation to when a 32-bit Delphi was
produced is *irrelevant*. The better thing to go by is when the 32-bit
OS which Delphi supported was launched-- that'd be Windows '95.
Will
--

Captain Jake writes:
>Can you explain to me what advantages a
>64-bit chip has over a 32-bit chip, other than memory?

Yes, small speed gains.
You consider an average speed bump of 10% just from recompiling to be
"small"? Not to mention the gains to be had if you optimize your code
for the platform.
More to the point though, Dennis asked what advantages 64-bit
processors had over 32-bit processors. "Speed gains" is, as Dennis
pointed out, the least technical answer you could give. One wonders if
you even know what you're talking about..
Will
--

Captain Jake writes:
I think the better action would be to place the worst offenders on
probation, such that their posts are quarantined until approved by a
TeamB member. TeamB has been way too lenient regarding personal
attacks in these threads.
It's too bad it is not against the rules to spread FUD though or you'd
be long gone.
Will