Re: Why wasn't the Delphi 7 update announced on Delphi Direct?

"Sakis" <{Remove_This}XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Because nothing works these days in Borland :)
Delphi Direct still works. It just hasn't been updated. :)

Re: Why wasn't the Delphi 7 update announced on Delphi Direct?

Because nothing is announced on Delphi Direct.
Lauchlan M

Re: Why wasn't the Delphi 7 update announced on Delphi Direct?

Why wasn't the Delphi 7 update announced in Delphi Direct? For that matter,
why hasn't there been any change in Delphi Direct in months? Is there
any reason for me to keep Delphi Direct activated or is it a dead
feature?

Re: Why wasn't the Delphi 7 update announced on Delphi Direct?

Because nothing is announced on Delphi Direct.
John Kaster has recently elaborated and said that Delphi Direct it due to be
replaced by some sort of newsfeeder thing, but it seems that in the
meanwhile there is no intention to keep up a pretense that it is being
maintained or performs any useful role. I think it is around 5-6 months
since the last update.
Personally I don't see that John's answer explains anything . . . If they
have content, they can put it on Delphi Direct now. If they have a different
delivery mechanism in the future, they can use that then. In the meanwhile
if they intend to deliver content, they can and should deliver it. The
question is really why no-one is bothering to update the content, and
whether and why that is planned to change with the advent of some new
technology.
If they don't plan to update the content advice, they may as well cancel
both Delphi Direct and the new newsfeeder/aggregation thingy, as neither is
any use without the content.
Lauchlan M

Lauchlan M in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Personally I don't see that John's answer explains anything . . . If
they have content, they can put it on Delphi Direct now.
Perhaps you need to read my response again. Delphi Direct requires
human interaction for it to be posted, and the last person maintaining
Delphi Direct is now doing tons of other things.
The news feed engine is far superior for a variety of reasons, but the
most critical one is that it requires absolutely ZERO human interaction
for the list of articles to be maintained.
If they don't plan to update the content advice, they may as well
cancel both Delphi Direct and the new newsfeeder/aggregation thingy,
as neither is any use without the content.
Isn't it fascinating to see how far analysis and conclusion can go
astray when based on incomplete or misunderstood information? ;-)
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Add a feature/Fix a bug: qc.borland.com

Re: Why wasn't the Delphi 7 update announced on Delphi Direct?

Because nothing works these days in Borland :)
Sakis
"rbwinston" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
Lauchlan M in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>Personally I don't see that John's answer explains anything . . . If
>they have content, they can put it on Delphi Direct now.

Perhaps you need to read my response again. Delphi Direct requires
human interaction for it to be posted, and the last person maintaining
Delphi Direct is now doing tons of other things.

The news feed engine is far superior for a variety of reasons, but the
most critical one is that it requires absolutely ZERO human
interaction for the list of articles to be maintained.

>If they don't plan to update the content advice, they may as well
>cancel both Delphi Direct and the new newsfeeder/aggregation thingy,
>as neither is any use without the content.

Isn't it fascinating to see how far analysis and conclusion can go
astray when based on incomplete or misunderstood information? ;-)
So is this news feed engine available now? When? Is there something
available to download and have it integrated within Delphi? How do I
get it? If so, I'd like to suggest you use Delphi Direct for a
final message on how to get this new tool so those users who don't
visit the newsgroups or BDN or whatever will get it. (Sorry if this has
been answered already. I haven't seen the response or thread you and
Lauchlan are referring to.)
Thanks,
--
-john
"Humor is the sunshine of the mind."

John W. in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
So is this news feed engine available now?
Yes, the news feeds have been available for a while.
news.borland.com. There are also dozens of news aggregators
available as well.
Future releases of (at least) our IDE products will include a news
aggregator that will read the news feeds published there.
get it? If so, I'd like to suggest you use Delphi Direct for a
final message on how to get this new tool so those users who don't
visit the newsgroups or BDN or whatever will get it.
I'll ask the person who used to update Delphi Direct to update it.
FWIW, there are far more people hitting BDN than using Delphi Direct.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Add a feature/Fix a bug: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com

Re: Why wasn't the Delphi 7 update announced on Delphi Direct?

Isn't it fascinating to see how far analysis and conclusion can go
astray when based on incomplete or misunderstood information? ;-)
Whatever. 6 months or so of Delphi Direct without any updates speaks for
itself, I think.
Good luck with the new feeder thing.
Lauchlan M

Re: Why wasn't the Delphi 7 update announced on Delphi Direct?

I dunno John, I think John's W comment is right on the money, there should
be something mention in Delphi Direct that this will be replace.
For me, I hit Delphi Direct more than I hit BDN, everytime I start Delphi I
hit Delphi Direct, maybe 10 + times a day. BDN, maybe two times.
Looking forward to the new feature.
Edwin
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
John W. in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>So is this news feed engine available now?

Yes, the news feeds have been available for a while.
news.borland.com. There are also dozens of news aggregators
available as well.

Future releases of (at least) our IDE products will include a news
aggregator that will read the news feeds published there.

>get it? If so, I'd like to suggest you use Delphi Direct for a
>final message on how to get this new tool so those users who don't
>visit the newsgroups or BDN or whatever will get it.

I'll ask the person who used to update Delphi Direct to update it.
FWIW, there are far more people hitting BDN than using Delphi Direct.

--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Add a feature/Fix a bug: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com

Re: Why wasn't the Delphi 7 update announced on Delphi Direct?

rbwinston <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
any reason for me to keep Delphi Direct activated or is it a dead
Didnt think that anyone kept it activated.
It is an annoying and poorly designed waste of time

"Lauchlan M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>Isn't it fascinating to see how far analysis and conclusion can go
>astray when based on incomplete or misunderstood information? ;-)

Whatever. 6 months or so of Delphi Direct without any updates speaks for
itself, I think.

Good luck with the new feeder thing.
How long before the news feeder goes the way of Delphi Direct ?
Deja vu all over again...

I R T writes:
How long before the news feeder goes the way of Delphi Direct ?
As John stated, Delphi Direct's problem was that it had to be manually
updated. The news feeds are done automatically, so shouldn't suffer the
same 'information lag' problem that dogged Delphi Direct.
In fact, I have subscribed to the RSS feeds for some time now, and I get
notifications many times a day for BDN, Code Central and Quality
Central.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Edwin Walker writes:
For me, I hit Delphi Direct more than I hit BDN, everytime I start
Delphi I hit Delphi Direct, maybe 10 + times a day. BDN, maybe two
times.
You must be ver bored or have short term memory loss <grin>
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

I R T writes:
How long before the news feeder goes the way of Delphi Direct ?
You did not pay attention. He (JK) said that it does not require any
human intervention to maintain. The news feed is already up and
running and has been for some time. The proposed integration into
Delphi just makes what is already available, accessible from the Delphi
IDE. Delphi Direct, on the other hand required someone to manually
update it. He said that person does not currently have time to do that
chore, so that is why its data is stagnant.